PDA

View Full Version : tang hole in th head

Lauren
11-07-2006, 11:55 PM
i think my little blue tang has hole in the head disease, its a white indent above his eyes, ive herd of treatments but the stuff JL used to sell can no longer be sold in canada, does anyone know of another treatment i can use to cure this?

mark
11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Haven't had it in my tank but seen described as a nutritional disease with treatment being keeping pristine water and using additives such as Selcon.

i have crabs
11-08-2006, 04:09 AM
i have a yellow tang that had a bad case a while back, i just feed seaweed on a clip 1-2 times a day and soaked all its food in some kind of vitamin suplement. a big cause for hlle is low vitamin c in thier diet

midgetwaiter
11-08-2006, 04:11 AM
I've cleaned up pretty bad cases of this with just diet, if there is any kind of infection involved it's usually a secondary thing. If you can get your hands on it, nothing beats fresh macro algae for fixing this.

Lauren
11-08-2006, 04:43 AM
the only macro i have is cheato and he doesnt seem interested, i herd soaking brocoli in garlic helps get rid of this, or is it better to get those algea sheets that the LFS sells

ron101
11-08-2006, 04:53 AM
You can also feed them unsalted Nori (sushi seaweed sheets). Pretty cheap from asian food stores.

Doug
11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
As mentioned, diet. Nori & other made for fish veggie sheets. Rub some Selcon & perhaps some Vita-Chem by Boyd. One of the best foods I like is a good brand spirolina flake like OSI. Selcon can be added to them also.

Make sure their is no stray currents. Also use a good brandcarbon, like Black Diamond. Stray carbon dust has also though to be a possible culprit in HLLE

Lauren
11-09-2006, 01:25 AM
my tang doesnt seem to have any interest in greens, i tryed feeding nori and she ate a couple chunks but not much, any other ideas on what i can feed?

fkshiu
11-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Soak the nori in selcon with a drop or two of garlic juice as an appetite stimulant. Be patient and keep presenting it at the same time each day that you normally feed.

Try a varied diet of high quality food including Formula2, mysis, Cyclopseeze and finely chopped shellfish like clams and scallops all soaked in Selcon/garlic.

Keep water conditions pristine with good skimming and regular changes.

Make sure your tank has enough room for the tang to swim.

HLLE sucks. The scaring is permanent but at least it's not an affliction to kills in a short period of time. Good husbandry can usually stop it from worsening.

EmilyB
11-09-2006, 06:59 AM
my tang doesnt seem to have any interest in greens, i tryed feeding nori and she ate a couple chunks but not much, any other ideas on what i can feed?

You strapped the nori to something with elastic bands so the tang can graze all day?