PDA

View Full Version : Will my tank explode???

Cam
11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I was wondering if i should worry about my tank exploding. I just setup a 60 gallon tank 4 feet long by 16 inches deep and 18 high i think. I bought it without a centre brace. The glass in 3/8 thick. It had a black trim around the top that broke off when i moved it. Does this trim offer any stuctural support or is it just cosmetic? Any suggestions about whether i should be concerned. Reading some forums has kindof given me the creeps there are a lot of posts about tank disaters. Im in an apartment on the 2nd floor and an exploding 60 gallon tank would make losing a damage deposit the least of my worries.
Thanks Cam

Psyire
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Usually the black trim does provide support, but it depends on how the tank was built.

I would be checking to see if the long panes (front/back) are bowing out at all when it is filled. If you detect no bowing, I wouldn't be worried. Usually glass will bow a little before breaking. Being only 18" tall you are probably safe with 3/8" but how the tank was built will play a role in determining just how safe.

Richer
11-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I had a couple of 66 gallon Hagen tanks (48.25" x 16.25" x 20.25")... one that I bought brand new 5-6 years ago (still using it now) and one that was at least a few years old when I acquired it. Both tanks had no center brace and I believe we made from 3/8" plate glass. IMHO, you'll be fine. Both tanks did bow slightly when filled, but nothing significant.

Robw
11-07-2006, 11:00 PM
You could always euro brace it. Just a thought. :)

Rob

Murminator
11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
I had a couple of 66 gallon Hagen tanks (48.25" x 16.25" x 20.25")... one that I bought brand new 5-6 years ago (still using it now) and one that was at least a few years old when I acquired it. Both tanks had no center brace and I believe we made from 3/8" plate glass. IMHO, you'll be fine. Both tanks did bow slightly when filled, but nothing significant.

WHO ARE YOU????.... hey Rich long time no see

No the black trim does nuffin but holds the lid from falling in and keeping your arm from getting cut up :mrgreen:

Cam
11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
I assume that euro bracing is basically putting a brace around the top of the tank, can you do it custom or does anyone do it in edmonton. Does anyone have an idea or ball park of what it would cost to do this. IMO its probably better safe then sorry, this is a custom built tank i filled it up on the weekend and doesn't have any bowing yet, but why test fate.