PDA

View Full Version : Buying plastics

TANGOMAN
10-16-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm lookin' to buy some plastic and was hopin' ya'all might be able to direct me to a supplier. So whatcha' building you ask...well let me tell ya'.
I want to build a canopy for my 90g and I'm looking for lengths of plastic,"L" shaped,ya' know the ones I mean ? For attaching to the inner sides of the canopy,allowing the canopy to "rest" on top of the rim of the tank. I've been to Industrial Plastics,(great people there!),but the material they stock is only about 3/4"-1" wide, maybe 1/8" thick. This would probably suffice but I'd be more comfortable with something a little "beefier". I've phoned around a bit but no success so I thought I'd come here for a little advice...Thanks in advance !

P.S. Wood material advice ? My 60g corner was purchased as a unit and the stand/canopy are MDF. What were those boneheads thinkin'? I'll be painting with texture spray so that "wood-grain thing" isn't important. I'm figurin' maybe 3/4" or 1",one side finished plywood ??? Twice as much as I need of course 'cause I like to get it right the second time...

robby123
10-16-2002, 05:30 PM
why dont you try using wood covered in laminate. its not that hard to do and with the contact cement and laminate covering everything should be sealed. i have the entire inside of my canopy done in white laminate. the shiny surface slides really good on the tank trim. i added a couple of velcro patches for extra smooth glide.

Bob I
10-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Try Cadillac Plastics. They are in the 4000, or 4100 block od 10th street NE. Talk to John Farrell in the back. He has been in plastics forever. :D