PDA

View Full Version : Black eggcrate in Calgary?

Delphinus
11-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Anyone know where to find some?

Industrial Paints and Plastics doesn't stock any, happy to order some, but a minimum order of a caselot (10 I guess?) which seems a bit excessive since all I want is a 6" row of 2 squares high and two 4" rows of 2 squares high to use as an overflow strainer..

Or does anyone have any scraps they'd be willing to sell me?

Quagmire
11-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Check some of the drywall suppliers,Winroc,Kenroc etc.Often they have special order eggcrate from large jobs thats left over,or the customer changes their mind after its been ordered.

MikeP
11-07-2006, 04:05 AM
What about ordering a case and selling them off? I always pictured white stuff with my tank but I think black would look really good (to cover the top). How big is a full "sheet"? How much is the case? I would probably buy at least two sheets from you if the price per sheet is the same or close to the same as the white stuff found at hardware stores.

Snappy
11-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Tony I have white if you want some. It was about 10 months ago that I was looking for some eggcrate myself but I thought they had some at either Rona or Home Depot. I know for sure they had white and that dark black/silver stuff but I think they had regular black as well. Might be worth a shot.

Delphinus
11-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Thanks Greg - I do have some white though. I was hoping to go black because I got some smoked glass for the overflow and I think it would look really sharp with black. This is for (gasp! scandal!) my FW tank..

Mike, I'll check into the cost tomorrow and post back. I have a bad feeling it may not be cheap though, usually I've heard it goes for $20-30 a sheet which is like 10 times more expensive than the usual white. A "sheet" is 24"x48" (I think).

Delphinus
11-07-2006, 07:20 PM
.. hmmm not having the most luck on this one. I asked Industrial Paints & Plastics to look up the caselot price for me and they'll get back to me. In the meantime I've tried Winroc and Kenroc, unfortunately no go on those. Kenroc directed me to their supplier, Convex Light Control, who said they can get it, but wouldn't sell to me because they're only a wholesale distributor and I'm a nobody :lol:, but they directed me to Litemore, Commercial Lighting and/or BriteLite. I'm waiting for word back from Litemore, I called them first. I might try Commercial Lighting Products as well since I have dealt with them (as well as Litemore) in the past.

Maybe white won't be so bad ... sheesh what a pain. I didn't realize black eggcrate would be THAT obscure of an item to request...

Delphinus
11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Hmm OK $15 each at Litemore, and it looks like they won't make me buy the whole caselot (which would be 15 of them).

In case anyone else is interested in black eggcrate @ $15 a sheet, Litemore's # is 252-4000 and the fellow I talked to is named Martin.

midgetwaiter
11-07-2006, 10:08 PM
If you haven't ordered already I might have that much leftover. I'll look for you tonight and let you know.

Delphinus
11-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Awww... man where were you 4 hours ago? :lol: I already ordered them. :(
I don't know if I can cancel it anymore..

thanks anyhow!

midgetwaiter
11-08-2006, 03:16 AM
I found it if you can cancel, just enough for what you want to do. Send me a PM if you want it.