PDA

View Full Version : PFO Ballasts?

canadawest
01-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Is anyone here using either a dual 175W or dual 250W PFO MH ballast?

Are you happy with it?

Do you run it with 6500K Iwasaki lamps, if so how is the color?

Do you run it with 10K lamps, if so how is the color/intensity?

Just wondering as I might buy one if the feedback on them is good.

George
01-02-2002, 08:59 PM
hehehe, I used to run a dual 175W. Now I am running a dual 250W on my 60g.
Color? Since the 175W drove german made 10kk bulbs, they were nice white color, which is pretty much what you expect from a german 175W 10KK. I also supplemented the bubs with two VHO, 110W actinic. Nice combination.

Now I am running dual 250W PFO MH ballast(not eye ballast) driving 2 iwasaki. I don't have a light meter to test how much of improvement over 175W in term of intensitive. But I can tell you that, I was able to look directly into 175W bulb before, now I am very careful not to look at the 250W directly. It hurt. Mind you, I am wearing glasses. Color? A tint of yellow after break-in. I don't have actinic any more 'cause my ice-cap was fried. As soon as I get my ice-cap fixed, I will let you know how it looks with actinic supplement. But I can live without actinic for now.

Coral growth? Let me just say that corals definitely LOVE Iwasaki. But my coralline algae turned into a lighter color, as before it was nice pink color.

I think a German 250w 10KK will be sweeeaat. But it also costs $$$$. That's the only thing that prevents me to try 250w 10kk.

One final note, if my tank is in basement, I would try dual 400W. But since it's on the first floor, well, too much heat.

HTH,

George

DJ88
01-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Andrew.. I run the 250W Iwasaki on a PFO.

Looks great IMO. Very crisp with actinic supplementation. As well you get all the PAR of the Iwasaki for growth. I'd recommend it to anyone.

FYI,
There won't be a difference between a dual PFO and a single PFO ballast. All they do is put a second ballast inside the case.

titus
01-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Hello,

Can't wait till the day when we have full digital control over color and intensity.

reefburnaby
01-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to point out that the Iwasaki colours up better and has higher intensity with the EYE (aka MV) ballast (especailly the type R version of Iwasaki).

- Victor.

George
01-02-2002, 11:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reefburnaby:
Hi,

Just wanted to point out that the Iwasaki colours up better and has higher intensity with the EYE (aka MV) ballast (especailly the type R version of Iwasaki).

- Victor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realized that when I bought the MH ballast. But I also like to have the option of trying different color bulbs. So many things to try, so little money. *sigh*

George

DJ88
01-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Same thing here.. Wanted the option of using other bulbs. Especially if more efficient ones come out. or if a new lamp comes out with more PAR than teh currently available models out there.

Jack
01-02-2002, 11:13 PM
Hey, Just a question. If you buy the EYE ballast for the Iwasaki Metal Halides to make them run better, can you only run the Iwasaki bulbs?

DJ88
01-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Jack,

yup.. only the Iwasaki....

canadawest
01-03-2002, 01:19 AM
It will be the regular ballast that I have available to me. But I do like the ability to run different lamps even though I will likely go with the Iwasaki 6500K lamps.

I will be supplementing with two or three 48" VHO actinics, as well as the dual 250W MH lamps.

George, you have run both 6500K and 10K lamps. For coral growth which do you prefer? Based on optimum coral growth and knowing my supplementation, which K of lamp would you choose?

Darren, if 10K lamps were the same price as Iwasaki 6500K lamps, would you switch?

I have read that corals tend to have better growth under 6500K lamps than higher K lamps and that clams also prefer the full spectrum of 6500K lamps. Anyone care to comment on this?

reefburnaby
01-03-2002, 01:22 AM
Hi,

Yupe, only Iwasaki or Metal Vapour lamps.

The Iwasaki type R (with the EYE ballast) produce light closer to 10000K. So, actinic supplement may not be necessary. Just a thought.

- Victor.

DJ88
01-03-2002, 01:36 AM
Andrew,

Nope.. Till the 10000K's have the same PAR as an Iwasaki I'll stay with what I have. They are a part of the reason I get the growth and color I have in this tank. I don't know of any tank that has the growth rates with 10000K for 250W's as mine does with 6500's. Everything is growing very quickly. Even supposed slow growth corals it seems.

George
01-03-2002, 03:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadawest:
George, you have run both 6500K and 10K lamps. For coral growth which do you prefer? Based on optimum coral growth and knowing my supplementation, which K of lamp would you choose?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, IME, For coral growth, 6500K is better in my tank. The color might not look perfect for *human* if you run it alone. I think a pair of VHO actinic will be a perfect supplementation for the Iwasaki.

HTH
George