PDA

View Full Version : Importanceof center bracing...

fortheloveofcrabs
11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey,

Perhaps this is stupid... but... I'm gonna ask anyways... I have a Hagen 55gal tank that has a center brace. Well, I'm cheap and I wanna buy that 1 X MH 36" Coralife light strip. Well, it only has one MH bulb in it, and with a center brace it will look silly. What will happen if I cut off that center brace? SPLASH!! Or will I be okay? Is there a way I can some how replace that with a glass one without draining my tank?

Thanks!!

Pan
11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
If you remove the center brace the tank will bow, the structural integrity is compromised and something will happen, though not always as quick as you'd think. I had a buddy that used one with the center brace remoed for two years, i told him not to, eventually it cracked and ruined his wifes new floor. I think best bet would be to drain and fix. I have no experience fixing them though so if anyone else knows.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-07-2006, 02:09 AM
For new tanks, cutting the center brace voids the warranty, but I think the warranty is only for 90 days or so. I've cut mine on 3' 65g & it is much brighter now that the plastic brace does not block out most of the MH light. I have not noticed any bowing. I have a 6' 110g that came without any bracing & it's doing fine all these years. Knock on wood.

Anthony

benjamin
11-07-2006, 02:52 AM
If you get ride of the center brace you could make a glass euro brace that goes around the tank. I think that would help

Dale
11-07-2006, 02:57 AM
I myself wouldn't trust a tank built with a center brace that had it removed. It might not break right away or ever but the glass will be under a constant stress load and bumping it or hitting it just right might put it over the edge. Time for some risk assessment!
Having said that, my 135G. blew its center brace and I made two replacements for it out of 1" x 1/8" steel flat bar. I'm pretty happy now because my T-5's can sit about 1 1/2" off the surface.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/100_2583.jpg
________
universal health (http://uhwh.com)

kwirky
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
if there's a center brace, that means the manufacturer is using sub-standard (thin) glass and relying on the brace for support.

You could remove the center brace and re-brace it elsewhere. For example, use two glass braces at the 1/3 locations of the tank. You'd have even more structural integrity and it wouldn't interfere with the lighting.

me, I'm becoming quite partial to cube tanks for their efficiency in glass costs and lighting costs. :) Too bad they're not "standardized" by aquarium manufacturers.

Dale
11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
if there's a center brace, that means the manufacturer is using sub-standard (thin) glass and relying on the brace for support.

Thats just silly talk. Using a center brace does not indicate sub standard glass.
________
video review (http://videoreviews.org)

Cam
11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I was wondering if i should worry about my tank exploding. I just setup a 60 gallon tank 4 feet long by 16 inches deep and 18 high i think. I bought it without a centre brace. The glass in 3/8 thick. It had a black trim around the top that broke off when i moved it. Does this trim offer any stuctural support or is it just cosmetic? Any suggestions about whether i should be concerned. This post kindof gave me the creeps because im in an apartment on the 2nd floor and an exploding 60 gallon tank would make losing a damage deposit the least of my worries.
Thanks Cam

StirCrazy
11-08-2006, 03:22 AM
I took the brace out of mine 3 years ago, sometimes they are there for nothing more than a place to put your light strips. a good way to tell if you don't mind trying it is to take it out and then slowly fill the tank.. every couple inches use a strait edge along the top of the glass and measure the amount of bow. mine only bowed less than 1/64th of an inch when it was full any more than 1/16th and replace it with a glass beace or euro brace.

Steve

GMGQ
11-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Dale, where did you get the steel flat bar, and how did you get it bent?

I have a 70gal, and my center brace showed a hairline crack a few months ago, it has since cracked right across and resulted in 2 pieces of glass. The crack is under 1/4 wide now. I'm worried about any further bowing, so your idea seems applicable to me to.

Please advise, thanks.
Gary

I myself wouldn't trust a tank built with a center brace that had it removed. It might not break right away or ever but the glass will be under a constant stress load and bumping it or hitting it just right might put it over the edge. Time for some risk assessment!
Having said that, my 135G. blew its center brace and I made two replacements for it out of 1" x 3/8" steel flat bar. I'm pretty happy now because my T-5's can sit about 1 1/2" off the surface.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/100_2583.jpg

Dale
11-09-2006, 03:11 AM
I just bought the metal from home depot and bent it with a sledge and anvil. I did make an error though. I said it was 3/8th thick but I meant 1/8th :redface: That's quite a difference when your hitting it with a hammer!
________
vaporizer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)