PDA

View Full Version : Zoos vs. Paly's

X-Treme
11-06-2006, 02:15 AM
PLEASE keep in mind that I am VERY new to s/w, so try not to flame to bad. My questions is this: What is the difference between zoos and paly's? They look the same to me. Help me out here.

RicePaddy
11-06-2006, 02:22 AM
I was wondering the same thing? So that make two of us.

Will

Johnny Reefer
11-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Palythoa is a Genus of the Family Zoanthid.
Therefore, it is my understanding that, Palys are zoos.

Cheers,

howdy20012002
11-06-2006, 03:19 AM
palys are a generally bigger form of zoos I believe.

FragFactory
11-06-2006, 03:20 AM
They are the same species..

Palys are usually bigger polyps and stems, and when closed have a visualized line through the polyp, while zoos when closed do not, and are smooth.

Palys usually also have a more pronounced mouth, then do zoos, and I find the palys come in more intricate colours, with many multi coloured morphs out there.

Mike

Der_Iron_Chef
11-06-2006, 03:24 AM
I was wondering, too--thanks for asking!

Farrmanchu
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Palys draw sediment into thier tissues to make them more ridgid. That's why you'll see white specks in the stalk, and white lines in the disk sometimes. They also have a strong feeding response, they close quickly over food. Many don't seem to share a common "matt" with the others in the colony, growing in small groups making up a colony.

The other Zoas, short dense ones, feed more on detrius and dissolved nutrients. They don't have the same feeding response, and have no sediment in the tissues. They share a common "matt" and are all attached as a colony.

All are part of the Zoanthus group.

Murminator
11-06-2006, 03:22 PM
The "matt" thing is correct zoo's share a matt which they all grow up from paly are individual poylps and are generally larger

Jaws
12-01-2006, 03:58 PM
From what I understand, zoos can pack quite a sting. Are palys any different?

Matt
12-01-2006, 08:47 PM
The toxin that zoos carry is called "palytoxin", so you can guess that they're at least as bad.

bubblepuffer
12-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Personally I think Paly look better then the smaller Zoo .. found that out after bougth some Paly and it look huge and bulky which people looking into your tank will wondering what did you feed those thing with =) make a smile on your face.. Paly look like Zoos on Steroids