PDA

View Full Version : Basic home wiring question

ed99
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I have four outlets wired on the same circuit which I had planned to use for power to the tank equipment. The breaker protecting this circuit is pinned to a second breaker. I am assuming that this still means that I have only a single 15 amp supply to that outlet and I shouldn't exceed roughly 1500W power on these outlets. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Ed

mark
11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
totally correct

Johnny Reefer
11-05-2006, 08:01 PM
1500W.....is that the regulated industry standard Safe Working Load (SWL) for a residential circuit? :redface:

Thanx much,

ed99
11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
1500W.....is that the regulated industry standard Safe Working Load (SWL) for a residential circuit? :redface:

Thanx much,

Thanks Mark.

To the other Mark- here is a link to a similar discussion from a couple of years ago that will answer your question, but basically 1500W is about as high as you should go on a single 15 amp circuit.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3982

Finally- I think I will need the extra power eventually so are there any reefer/electricians here in Calgary who is willing to come over and add a second circuit to my tank room? If so PM me with a contact so we can discuss rate, availability etc.

Ed

mark
11-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Got an Electrical Inspector over to one of our sites a few weeks ago and was talking. Told guideline for branch circuits 80%.

Know there's some instances where 100% okay, think it's electric baseboards, not positive though.

gramp
11-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Most pinned breakers are used for split plugs.Take the plate off one plug
and see if there is a red & black wire on one side with white on the other
if so you might have two 15 amp split plugs.TURN OFF THE BREAKER FIRST

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks Mark.

To the other Mark- here is a link to a similar discussion from a couple of years ago that will answer your question, but basically 1500W is about as high as you should go on a single 15 amp circuit.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3982

Finally- I think I will need the extra power eventually so are there any reefer/electricians here in Calgary who is willing to come over and add a second circuit to my tank room? If so PM me with a contact so we can discuss rate, availability etc.

Ed
This was useful information for when I moved. Thank you.

Basically, I determined which receptacles and lights were on which circuits and spread out the wattage of my equipment onto different circuits so as not to exceed 1500W on any particular circuit.

As a safety measure I put those plastic safety guards in each receptacle that was still "open" as a reminder to not use that receptacle and potentially trip the breaker.

Thanx again,

gramp
01-17-2007, 05:18 AM
All new homes have split plugs on two 15 AMP pined breakers.The wire connector bar is separate on the plugs giveing you two 15 AMP plugs.
If you put a regular plug you will blow both breakers YOURS ARE PINED.With a volt meter there should be 220 volts between
or across the top and bottom of each plug.