PDA

View Full Version : Mounting external pumps upside down?

Fish
11-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is a DIY question, but I am sure that the people in the DIY forum are the right people to answer a question like this...

I am a little short on room in the stand under my tank but would like to put a closed loop through the bottom of the tank. Can I bolt my Iwaki pump udside down to the underside of the stand. Would there be any downsides to doing that? Would it adversly affect the pump?
Let me know if I didn't explain it clearly enough.

Thanks, Chad.

BMW Rider
11-05-2006, 08:50 PM
It shouldn't have any affect on the pump. I would think you could mount it in almost any orientation that suits your need. Vertical mounting might cause a problem with end thrust on the shaft, but I'm not certain of that. Refer to the manufacturers instructions for any restrictions.

Fish
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your input. I kinda felt the same way, as long as it's horizontal, it should be the same... I mean the impellor is still spinning clockwise and probably wouldn't even "know" that the exit was down instead of up.

- Chad

beaker020
11-12-2006, 12:16 AM
hmmm...just thinking out loud here. If the outlet is down you may have a problem on startup. Typically, when first installed, before the power is turned on, the impeller is dry. When the valves are turned on the impeller is flooded and the incoming water pushes the air out the outlet on top. If the outlet is down the air may not have anywhere to go so the pump may start up dry. It should push the air out soon enough in a big cloud of micro bubbles but it may cause an air lock.

I've never tried it but like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.

BMW Rider
11-12-2006, 03:53 AM
hmmm...just thinking out loud here. If the outlet is down you may have a problem on startup. Typically, when first installed, before the power is turned on, the impeller is dry. When the valves are turned on the impeller is flooded and the incoming water pushes the air out the outlet on top. If the outlet is down the air may not have anywhere to go so the pump may start up dry. It should push the air out soon enough in a big cloud of micro bubbles but it may cause an air lock.

I've never tried it but like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.

Good observation. With an Iwaki pump, you should be able to rotate the pump housing on the motor to avoid that possibility. Probably wouldn't be able to turn the outlet vertical due to the mounting method, but at least to the side would be better. It would likely also simplify the plumbing.

Fish
11-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am planning on putting the pump upside down and plumbed directly to the bottom of my tank. Any air in the plumbing will rise - obviously not out the efluent side but at least through the intake side because it is a straight shot. Between that, and 40gals of water sitting on the bulkheads, I think I would be hard pressed to keep air in the impellor even if I tried. Even if it did shoot some bubbles on the first time I started it, it would be the last time because I would have to drain the entire display just to get air back into the line.

Cheers,

_ Chad

beaker020
11-12-2006, 06:49 AM
You are probably right about the orientation not being a problem but take my advice on this: put in unions and ball valves. That pump is going to require servicing periodically, you are going to want to take it out without draining the tank. Trust me, this I know.

Fish
11-12-2006, 01:43 PM
That's great advice. Does anyone know what "quick connects" are or where I could buy some? I have heard references to them before but never seen one. Is that what I need here?

- Chad

beaker020
11-12-2006, 04:13 PM
here is a pic of one. they come in white too. Home depot carry these and ball valves too, along with just about any hardware/building supply store.

http://www.superiorspecialty.com/Main/Plumbing/Legend/union.gif

These are the ultimate but are rather expensive and much harder to find. Also, if you do go with these watch out. Many of this style cannot be opened under pressure, the ball pops out. Which makes them completely useless for our application.

http://www.superiorspecialty.com/Main/Plumbing/Legend/S-645.gif

Fish
11-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the pics. I will look around for some. What I have always done in the past is to have a short section of flexible hose between my pump and pvc pipe... this allows me to close the valve and pull the pump off of the hosebarbs when I need to service it. Might just do that here...

_ Chad

KrazyKuch
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I am running to Posidon PS4 upside down for my close loop and their was no problems....Since the pump's are under the tank just open he valves and let the water run in the start them up!!