PDA

View Full Version : Water Circulation

Johnny Reefer
11-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I’m planning an upgrade within the next month to the water circulation of my 180g reef tank. I haven’t bought the new powerheads yet, but I’m concerned I may be making the wrong decision and I want to get it as close to right before the purchase. I had decided on two Tunze 6100’s (3175 GPH each). These, along with two MJ 1200’s for surface agitation (295 GPH each) and the sump return, which I estimate to be 750 GPH, totals 7,690 GPH. This is a whopping 42.5X turnover rate.

I’ve done a bit of research and have read anywhere from 10X – 20X is sufficient, but then I see and read about systems having far more than that. I’m a tad confused. Is the large turnover rate for SPS keepers? I do not plan on keeping SPS other than about three specimens, tops. I plan on keeping predominantly LPS, softies and a few clams. Seriously! I do not plan on keeping SPS other than about three specimens, tops.

Having said all that, I am wondering if my original plan of going with two Tunze 6080’s (2250 GPH each) would be a more appropriate decision. This would equate to 5,840 GPH and ~ 32X turnover rate.

To summarize….is a turnover rate of 42.5X extreme for LPS and softies?
Would 32X be more appropriate and/or realistic?

Any input and advice on this matter will be appreciated.

Thanx much,

littlesilvermax
11-05-2006, 02:01 AM
42.5 times is great for LPS and softies. It may take some creative flow patterns and coral placement, but it will yield a better easier to maintain tank in the long run.

mark
11-05-2006, 02:25 AM
The ocean moves more than our tanks ever could, hard part will be getting things pointed so you're not blasting the flesh off.