PDA

View Full Version : Your input is Most welcome

Pan
11-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey people just wondering if you could help me out a bit.
Since selling off my equipment (hope everything is going good for you neal) and moving to Belgium for school, only having to return after signing a lease and a few other things, due to funding being cutback. I have put off school for a couple of years and will be attending the University of Victoria (plan right now, BC for sure, school could change) and I miss my fishys. I now live closer to calgary then edmonton and have yet to look in calgary at any of the LFS. Which offer tanks for sale, I hope to purchase from a fellow reefer but if not I will buy one from a store. I would like a cube but doesn't have to be. Drilled defn, sump might have to wait we'll see. What about bow valley/inter-amaerican. I have heard great things and not so great things from them. I called but my phone call was not returned (no big deal that is). Does anyone know if they have starphire tanks pre-made ready for sale? I would like a min 30 gal cube, would like a ninety but thats a big cube, with the holes and plumbing and such setup in the middle, as i would like a 360 viewed tank. Anyways, right now I'll probably buy any tank i like the looks of. I was looking at one of the "nano" setups as a curiosity...specifically cadlights nano (neat looking setup), does anyone sell JBJ or whatever the other names are in calgary? I've never looked at one up close, and i really would pefer a bigger tank, but well...after seeing fish's little setup anything can look good if the person behind it has style :) and I shaved off the mullet so i'm getting hipper and hipper everyday :)

also can someone give me a lowdown on the storews in calgary and wht offers what.
ie best for LR, inverts blah blah :)

cheers. now bring on the ...oh crap two months of an emtpy tank waiting to settle down. Well good thing we all get off on staring at even plain old LR :)

Fish
11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey I just stopped by and was pleased to see your mention of my tank - thank you!
Bow Valley, can be a little frustrating to deal with but as long as you are not in a hurry and you hassle them a bit, you will end up with a nice tank. And no, they do not have pre made starfire tanks.
I really don't know as much about the LFS in town so I will let someone else speak to it. I do know that a great place to find stuff is in the buy/sell forums. Also, talk to JSTR, he has enough stuff lying around that you could hook you up with whatever you wanted whether it's a 10gal tank or a 100gal -lighting too.
Best of luck to you,

- Chad

kwirky
11-05-2006, 07:42 PM
golds kicks ass. same price for tanks as bow valley and you won't be waiting for two months while mitch at bow valley spends your 100% deposit on alcohol. :D

once heard mitch ran stuff through on somone's credit card without permission and the guy had to get visa to chase after bow valley.

AND they don't prep the glass with any kind of solvent. they use VINEGAR!

i'd say go with gold's. they're very competively priced, and their customer service is second to none.

Pan
11-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Umm, ok, don't know first hand anything about bow valley but i have heard things and wanted to get peoples opinions. As to why there are problems i think its best to not speculate why they are there. I don't wish to offend anyone. I've already decided on golds for the tank i just have to decide on overflow etc.. now, i still like the idea of a cube with center overflow viewable from threee sides...i am gonna drop of the money/deposit this week, then start on the stand.

Fish
11-05-2006, 11:56 PM
kwirky,
I after reading your post, I am considering going to Gold as well. Bow Valley built my last three tanks and the guys there treated me pretty good. I would talk to Mitch just to make the payment but after that I dealt with the fellas in the back, the ones actually putting it together.
I don't make it up to Gold aquariums very often (because I live in Okotoks) and was worried that if I went in to see them about a tank they would just be like "who's this dude?" Worth a shot though...

Subdued,
If I was building a cube tank and wanted an overflow/sump I would put the overflow box right up the center of the tank, stack the rockwork around it, and have it viewable from all 4 sides. Of course that would cause a little hassle because you would also have to bring your return line up through a bulkhead in the center as well...

- Chad