PDA

View Full Version : Carbon in the marine tank...

hqgc
11-04-2006, 02:22 AM
What does everybody think about running carbon in sumps;filters ?
Is it nessecary or does it do more harm then good?
H

marie
11-04-2006, 02:46 AM
It doesn't do any harm and it does help make the water clearer but I don't think it's necessary unless you have problems with toxins

Ken
11-04-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi, carbon is only effective if you have the water running through it. What would be nice is a reactor to place the carbon in will force the water through it. Placed in the sump, the water tends to go around the carbon making it less effective unless you channel the water in a way where the water will flow through it completely. Canisiter filters are another option if you place enough carbon packed in the basket, again allowing water through it and not around it. Regards Ken

Medicdude
11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
There has been some discussion that carbon may or may not contribute to Marine head and lateral line erosion, although not much for evidence based studies to support it. Something to keep in mind though.

kari
11-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Would carbon use help deplete magnesium:question:

marie
11-04-2006, 08:49 PM
There has been some discussion that carbon may or may not contribute to Marine head and lateral line erosion, although not much for evidence based studies to support it. Something to keep in mind though.

I've always run carbon in all my systems and Mhll is one of the few things I've never had problems with

Nor have I noticed carbon depleting mg

Sushiman
11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm a 24/7 passive style in my sump. Change your water & life seems good /trace replaced. I change my carbon frequently & also passivly run Purigen & phosphate media alongside.

kwirky
11-05-2006, 07:29 PM
i actively run 1 cup of carbon in my 120 gallon setup. I find it mostly helps with making sure the skimmer doesn't go crazy.

I change the carbon every 2 weeks.

Ruth
11-05-2006, 08:04 PM
I run carbon passively in my sumps and change it out about every 3 to 4 weeks. I think that it helps with water clarity.