PDA

View Full Version : test kits?

MikeP
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Are all test kits created equal? I have this petland credit burning a hole in my pocket and I was thinking of buying a test kit. I just wanted to make sure that whatever petland sells is good quality.

Thanks

christyf5
11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
No they're not all created equal. In my opinion, Hagen test kits are pretty poor quality. Salifert or Aquarium Pharmeceuticals make some pretty good kits, they're a bit pricey in some cases but well worth it.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Everyone will tell you Salifert, which I'm pretty sure isn't sold at Petland. But I think you could get by with some of the Hagen test kits they sell.

OR you could just spend the whole thing on some awesome fake plants for your aquarium :redface:

MikeP
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
It's to bad petland isn't interested in marine stuff. Although I've always found petland to be a bit on the pricey side, but if they were into salt it would provide more consumer choice and competition among LFS's.

danny zubot
11-03-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't think you'd find a test kit at petland for marine anyway. Unless you have a FW tank you might be out of luck.:sad:

MikeP
11-04-2006, 03:01 AM
I found a salt water master liquid test kit at petland. It was $45 bucks. It tests for PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. My credit was for $40 so that worked out just fine for me.

Thanks for the replies

albert_dao
11-04-2006, 03:52 AM
You might also want to consider a Calcium and Carbonate (kH) test kit. Salifert and Elos are both VERY good brands.

MikeP
11-04-2006, 04:36 AM
Thanks Albert :)

AC33
11-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I think Seatest test kits are probably one of the best, it's what I use, and it maybe even better than salfiert, because seatest test kits are a joint venture between AS and Hach if I remember correctly.

mark
11-04-2006, 02:00 PM
My only experience is Hagen and Salifert. Can't say if one is more accurate than the other, just found had more problems trying to match the colours off the cards with Hagen, Salifert easier for my eyes.

DanG
11-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Based on new (haven't been on the shelf for over 1 year), I found that both Hagen and Salifert gave me results for calcium that were within 10ppm of each other, so I have to believe they're fairly accurate. The big thing I think that Salifert has going for them over Hagen is ease of use. Hagen is 1 drop, put the cap on the test tube, shake, repeat. not so much fun when 1 drop increases sensitivity of the reaction in 20ppm, for calcium of 400ppm, you're looking at 20 drops.