PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Control

titus
12-31-2001, 09:31 PM
Hello,

Just curious. Anyone require any vibration control on their pumps?

Silverfish
12-31-2001, 09:48 PM
Hi Titus,

I have a bit of a problem controling the vibrations from my mag18 and mag12, both in-sump. I have been using that stick-on foam pad that the pumps come with, but it is only good for a few months, then it is toast. images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

got an idea?

Gordoe
12-31-2001, 10:48 PM
I have vibration problems with my Rio 2100. It's temporarily my return pump. Soon to be replaced with an Iwaki.

pocilipora
01-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Yes I would like some vibration control please.

titus
01-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Hello,

Have been working the whole night and almost forgot about this post.

I maybe ordering some dampening material that is used for car audio and wondered how effective is this for combating pump vibration. The material is a stick on type so I don't think it'll stick too well under water. The stuff I'm thinking of is atBeaver Tail (http://www.b-quiet.com/beavertail.html)

reefburnaby
01-01-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi,

A method of controlling vibrations in the audio world (say controlling vibration on the CD player or transport) is to use float the entire CD player on a couple of squash balls. Its basically a $1 version of the audiophile cones.

Similar vibration control can be applied to gluing or attaching the squash (or racquet) balls to the base of the motor.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

StirCrazy
01-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Victor I think he is talking about body pannels vibrating and such.. that is what the stickey soundproofing material is for..

Titus I don't think that would be to efective on a pump as you are not try to adsorb soundwaves but rather physical movement. I make vibration mounts all the time (on the navy ships) so I am trying to think of something that will work good for a small pump instead of a diesel images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Steve

reefburnaby
01-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Steve,

I was referring to an alternative way to control vibrations -- using racquet balls like engine mounts was my main idea.

- Victor.

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

StirCrazy
01-01-2002, 03:02 PM
ahh ok.. ya your tennis idea is how we mount our equipment.. we kinda use stiff rubber bands.. I am going to go out and look for some neopream loops to make shock mouts for a pump this week, I should be able to find something hehe..

oh is alumimum (*sp) ok in a salt water tank? thoes pads that Titus' link pointed to had a alumimum layer. I don't know if this is anything to be worried about thats why I am asking images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steve

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

reefburnaby
01-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi,

If aluminum is in contact with oxgenated salt water, then it will corode (like iron and steel).

There are some damping pads that are made for subs that do not have the aluminum layer.

- Victor.

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

titus
01-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Hello,

Right almost forgot the cones and neoprene balls.

I was referring to the noise the pump makes due to vibration. And if we can dampen out the pump body from flexing, then it'd be great.

I didn't know Steve was in the Navy too.

reefer in arnprior
01-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Just cut a piece of egg-crate a little larger than your pump and tie wrap a coarse piece of filter material to it (the big square sheets you have to cut yourself)put it in your sump and set your pump on top of that.Worked for me.

DJ88
01-02-2002, 05:06 PM
Steve,

You should know better about aluminum and sea water. Navy boy my a$$ images/smiles/icon_wink.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh wait..

you work down with the trolls and don't see the light of day all that often.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Partick..

Put a longer piece of airline tubing on the hose. It will dampen the noise of the air intake.

StirCrazy
01-02-2002, 08:01 PM
heh the only thing i thought alumimum was good for is making cannons .. isn't it Darren? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Steve images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DJ88
01-02-2002, 08:14 PM
I ain't a Gunner.. I can spell.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif lol!

BCReefer
01-03-2002, 04:43 AM
I have Bak Pak II skimmer that’s sounds like a jet taking off. Any ideas on how to quiet it down???. It seems to be coming from the hose for the air intake.

Many thanks
Patrick