PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef Sponge Bubble Difuser - Don't use as Prescribed

kwirky
11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I finally figured out the troubles to dialing in my euroreef skimmer. finally!

I was cleaning the foam difuser on the outlet pipe on a weekly basis, and THAT was the cause of the euroreef going out of whack when I couldn't understand it. I ended up cutting the foam difuser in half, and situated it so it's BELOW the output level of the pipe, so the water falls on it, rather than flows through it.

here's the problem with putting the foam as instructed, over the output pipe completely:
See, as the foam filter gets filled with gunk, the water has to go higher to get out of the foam. This causes the air-foam in the reaction chamber to rise higher as it gets gunked up. The skimmer was running beautifully every time I dialed it in for two days, then all of a sudden I'd get home and the cup would be full after only 4 hours running!

Taking the foam off completely makes it real noisy as the water splashes into the sump, so here's my solution:

Cut the foam so that it slides onto the output tube, and rests JUST below the outlet of the tube, allowing the water to fall through it, but it doesn't HAVE to flow through it. Quiet output, and no risk to your skimmate cup overflowing because the sponge is gunked up for some unexpected reason.

still gotta clean the sponge religiously though ;)

trilinearmipmap
11-02-2006, 01:22 AM
I recommend doing the gate valve mod and doing away with the foam altogether. I found the riser tube too hard to adjust.

Quagmire
11-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the tip :biggrin:
One thing thats always bothered me about the sponge on the skimmer is that we always say don't run a sponge filter or you will get nitrates,yet here we are running them on our skimmers.I think I'll try the gate valve mod when I get time.

kwirky
11-02-2006, 02:44 AM
i'm afraid of doing the gatevalve mod

I can get a spears gate valve for a good price, but if I mess up drilling the acrylic, it's $400 down the drain :confused:

Pescador
11-02-2006, 03:52 AM
The gate valve mod just replaces the riser tube, you shouldn't have to drill anything.

Chaloupa
11-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Can you post a pic of the mod? I have a Euroreef also and dislike using the sponge too....if you do that would be great!

Johnny Reefer
11-02-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm interested in this too. I'll be setting up two EuroReef RS 250's soon.
If the gate valve mod is the way to go, now's the time to do it.
What parts are needed?
Where can one get them?
Is it simple to do?

Thanx much,

kwirky
11-02-2006, 05:53 AM
actually I did some research, and I got the gatevalve mod mixed up with the recirculation mod.
looks pretty simple. you find a gate valve the same size as the riser tubing (or close), and attach it where the riser tube would have gone. then attach a T, then feed the output back into the sump for a quiet output. Looks WAY easier to dial in than raising and lowering that riser tube.

i found an image of it on thereeftank.com

http://www.esopenko.com/images/aquarium/diy/ER-CS6-2-RC001.jpg
I think this is a recirculating model, too

support@proline
11-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the picture Sean
the Gate valve mod kit prepared by Euro-Reef is available from any Euro-Reef Dealer ,All the pieces you need is in the package just put it together ,It does make life easier:biggrin:

Dave C
11-02-2006, 11:29 AM
I did the gate valve mod but used a ball valve instead. They're much cheaper, but more importantly, easier to find. I know a ball valve isn't appropriate for the task of fine tuning but once you dial it in you never change it & it works great. No drilling, no gluing necessary for this mod and very cheap if you just buy a bit of pipe & a ball valve.

Pescador
11-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I bought the kit for the first one, saw the pieces and got the parts for the second one at Western Pump. I used a sliding gate valve like this. The adjustment isn't as fine but it was cheaper and available. A 1 1/2" elbow and Tee a couple pieces of pipe your done.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/Misc/gatevalve.gif

kwirky
11-03-2006, 02:44 AM
i've got a "connection" with a plumbing wholesaler, so I can get the spears gate valves for a great price.

my mom's the accountant there lol. I think I'll add it to the christmas list.

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2006, 05:07 AM
actually I did some research, and I got the gatevalve mod mixed up with the recirculation mod.
looks pretty simple. you find a gate valve the same size as the riser tubing (or close), and attach it where the riser tube would have gone. then attach a T, then feed the output back into the sump for a quiet output. Looks WAY easier to dial in than raising and lowering that riser tube.

i found an image of it on thereeftank.com

http://www.esopenko.com/images/aquarium/diy/ER-CS6-2-RC001.jpg
I think this is a recirculating model, too
Where'd the picture go? It was a good reference.

Cheers,

Pescador
11-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Here's a link to the ASM site with pic's.
http://www.asmskimmer.com/mod1.htm