PDA

View Full Version : I'm a grandfather

howdy20012002
11-01-2006, 02:57 PM
A couple of days ago, a friends said that he saw a baby seahorse in my seahorse tank. We searched to try to find it again to no avail.
I then passed it off as being a false sighting.
Last night, one of my neighbours is over and says hey, there's a baby.
I look in and up and lo and beyond there are about 50 baby seahorses cruising around the top of the tank.
I then rounded them up with a cup and put them into a smaller tank.
Would people be interested in me starting somewhat of a journal on this as I attempt to raise these little guys?
thankfully I already had the rotifers up and going and am now going to try to figure out how to grow brine shrimp now.
So yea, LMK if there would be any interest in a journal like thread on the progress of the Baby SH
Neal

Der_Iron_Chef
11-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I think it's fascinating--I'd be interested.

Congrats :razz:

Richy44
11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Congrats...Post photos too.

Richy......

OCDP
11-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Please do keep us updated. What kind of seahorses are they Neal?

howdy20012002
11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
i was told that they are reidis.

Tarolisol
11-01-2006, 04:58 PM
i was told that they are reidis.

I would deffinitly like to see a journal. Are reidis the typical black one?

howdy20012002
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
yes, they are the black ones.
Neal

woodcarver
11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes , Please keep us posted. Regarding brine shrimp they are very easy to hatch given a good quality source of eggs . Freshwater sites usually have several methods of making a simple hatchery.
I used to use the inverted pop bottle system with great sucess when raising angels.
.......................Dave

demon666
11-01-2006, 06:38 PM
yes do keep us posted and the bbs are very easy to hatch all you need is a light air pump and a pop bottel and eggs youu can get a hatchery kit at almost every fish store in edmonton id get it just for the base to hold the pop bottel but order the eggs on line as the ones that come with the kit i found not to be that great.

woodcarver
11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
More on brine shrimp .It is economical to use the 1lb cans ( available on line ),I used to use Angels Plus who were good to deal with. Store the can in the fridge when not in use and they will last for a long time .If you have a couple of bottles going that will ensure a continuous supply of new born shrimp..................good luck
..................Dave

JSTR
11-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Depending on where you got them, they are more than likely h. Kudas not reidi. Post some close up pics and I can confirm for you. I know all the LFS in Calgary that have sold seahorses in the last year the plain black ones where all Kudas.

As for brine shrimp, if they are kudas or reidi, the babys wont accept them for a couple of weeks as they are too large. The rotifer cultures and smaller copepods are what you need to ween them for the first bit.

Richy44
11-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Any photos yet?

Richy

howdy20012002
11-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Here is the setup that I am currently have.
the babies are way too small to take pictures for my camera.
I will be starting a new thread for the raising of the seahorses.
I will try to add a comment a day as to how they are doing
so far, I haven't lost one.
But I have no expectations at all
Neal

bulletsworld
11-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Awesome stuff Neal! I do wish you luck. You have a lot of work ahead of you. A friend of mine at AI told me the longest he had his baby reidi's live for was 14 days. I wish you a world of luck. Is this your first batch of Sea babies?

michika
11-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Awesome thread.

Definately should turn it into a mini journal! I also agree with the previous comments, pictures are a must!

Joe Reefer
11-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Can someone explain what the gold fish bowl inside the tank is for? Do the babies go in it?

KrazyKuch
11-02-2006, 06:47 PM
I believe the babies are in the bowl and that bowl sits in another tank that has a heater in it......I think it's so you can keep the water at the right tempurature but don't risk the chance of one of the babies killing itself when it goes up against the heater!!