PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Light Melted

TRIX
11-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Well I feel pretty stupid having to ask this question. But here it goes. I mounted my 48" Coralife T5 fixture a little to close to the water and well, When the power switch is turned OFF the Actinic flickers but won't stay on. When I turn the power switch ON The end cap on the 10k sparks. The cap has melted a little bit. Now the question is are
- Should I tear the fixture and do a retro fit on the canopy.
- Can I get new end caps and other parts for this fixture.
- Is it worth any of this or am I waisting my time on a $99.00 Light
- I don't have many $$$ in my reef account

Also without having any Corals at the moment how hard is no light on the critters in the tank.

marcingo
11-01-2006, 03:03 AM
You probably dont want to leave your critters without any light because it will probably stress them if there is no light for more than a couple days. I would suggest you get any cheap fluorescent tube light or any light and have it on for the critters on the normal schedule. If you lived in edmonton I could lend you 2 12 inch fluorescent setups for the time you need it.

Quagmire
11-01-2006, 04:26 AM
Run to Home depot and get a cheap floresent light fixture for now.Thats all you inverts and fish will need untill you can get new end caps.Depending how bad its melted,maybe worth saving maybe not.But since you have the canopy/housing,you can always retro better equipment into it.Maybe save a few bucks.

TRIX
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know who has some end caps for this fixture

TRIX
11-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Yah I found some end caps at litemore. Not the same size but after a little Red Green and it works again.......for now