PDA

View Full Version : Best Skimmer.......

hqgc
11-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Looking for the best skimmer for a 150 gallon FOWLR. What's everybody's favorite? (in sump)

niloc16
11-01-2006, 03:41 AM
asm g4 would rock in that tank. extremely quiet and very easy to use

dirtyreefer
11-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Depends on your budget.

Quagmire
11-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Depends on your budget.

Mid budget I would go Euro-Reef.Hi budget I would go 2 Euro-Reefs :biggrin:

guysmiley
11-01-2006, 04:42 AM
I really like my ETSS downdraft. Everybody gives them a bad rap but I love it.

It is loud and the pump sucks power... and I have been impressed with Euroreef's in the past....

I guess if I were doing it again I'd go Euroreef mainly because it's quieter.

Garrick.

Chaloupa
11-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I like my Euroreef! It does a great job in my 120 that is "well" stocked! And soooo easy to set up and clean....hugely important because if is a PITA to clean...you just won't do it! I had looked into the ETSS as it was heavily recommended by a local reefer...but wouldn't fit in my stand..now I'm glad I have what I do!

albert_dao
11-01-2006, 07:23 AM
ATI BubbleMaster is slated to arrive on NA shores soon...

hqgc
11-02-2006, 12:13 AM
asm g4 would rock in that tank. extremely quiet and very easy to use

Hey, what is a "asm g4" ?
Also how are the coralife skimmers?
Thanx

kwirky
11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
the coralife skimmers are for 60 gallons max. And they're super finicky.

I was getting real nasty smelling skimmate from my Euroreef with very little trouble till the sponge "bubble difuser" got all gunked up. I took it off, and it's back to sweet sweet nasty skimmate :) It stinks up the ENTIRE basement when I empty a full collection cup lol

I don't have a heavy fish load, but I DO think I overfeed :redface:

oh and the ASM skimmers are a brand. http://www.saltycritter.com/skimmers-asm.htm You usually have to get them from the states. They're Euroreef knock-offs, but if you order them with a few "mods" done by the manufacturer, they're supposed to be almost as good. Too bad we live in Canada though... I'd go with one of the new RS series of euroreefs, because they're quite competitively priced and cost almost the same as importing an ASM.

Oh, and euroreef's customer service was 5 stars when I called them asking for advice to tune it in.

MobyDick
11-02-2006, 02:48 AM
I pm'd you.I have a aquamedic turbo multi.SL. in BRAND NEW shape.

Looking for the best skimmer for a 150 gallon FOWLR. What's everybody's favorite? (in sump)

niloc16
11-02-2006, 03:02 AM
hidden reef in abbotsford, bc sells ASM skimmers, they ship as well the mods are easy to do at home, on the ASM website they even tell you the parts you need to buy to do the mods. i'm not pushing you towards ASM skimmers but just suggesting that i think they are good

hqgc
11-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Are the recomended gallons rated on the euroreef's accurate?

Ruth
11-03-2006, 12:34 AM
From what I have read Euroreef skimmers are probably under rated on the size of tank they can actually skim (one of the few).
A couple of high end, in sump skimmers that you might want to research are the Deltec, Bubble King, H&S and another new one on the market who's name escapes me right now but it is Bubble something. They are like I said higher end skimmers that really perform but you are definately going to pay more for them.

Johnny Reefer
11-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Are the recomended gallons rated on the euroreef's accurate?
IMO they are.

i2ik
11-03-2006, 02:21 AM
From what I have read Euroreef skimmers are probably under rated on the size of tank they can actually skim (one of the few).
A couple of high end, in sump skimmers that you might want to research are the Deltec, Bubble King, H&S and another new one on the market who's name escapes me right now but it is Bubble something. They are like I said higher end skimmers that really perform but you are definately going to pay more for them.

Maybe the one you are thinking about is the ATI Bubble Master

niloc16
11-03-2006, 02:31 AM
the euroreef website gives a rated gallons and an actual gallon rating. i think they are pretty accurate.

Palster
11-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I was going to start a thread with a similar question but it looks to me like the Euro-Reef gets the highest approval rating and the price on the RS series isn't outrageous for what you are getting. I am definitely going to consider a Euro-Reef when I upgrade from my lousy Red Sea Berlin skimmer.

Mike Olson
11-16-2006, 04:50 AM
I have an ASM G3 for my 180...19 fish in total....and it works great. I have to empty the cup every 3 days though. I would like to upgrade to the G5 like Tom R has. Just as good as the euro reef for alot less money. I think the G5 uses 2 Sedra 9000's....Tom is very happy! The smaller euroreefs are getting closer in price to ASM, not the larger ones.

vanreefer
11-16-2006, 05:12 AM
ASM G4X the G4 is supposed to be underpowered with the sedra 5000 the G4X uses a sedra 9000 I use it on a heavily stocked 180 with 30 Gal sump didn't cost me much as I got it in the US and have a mailbox just across the line went on vacation for a week (no duty no tax) so I ended up paying about $400 all said and done

As the others said the mods are easy I have only done the gate valve mod and it took all of 20 minutes.

For value between euroreef and ASM (although the prices are becoming more competative) I would still go ASM the acrylic is extruded (weaker) instead of cast but, as long as you don't rough up your skimmer to much it should doesn't matter.

GO ASM WOOO

LostMind
11-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Didn't the ASM's just have a big price increase a few months back?

Seems the next big thing in skimmers is the bubble master... kinda unsure what to do myself as well.

hqgc
11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Ended up going with an ASM G2. So far , so good!
Bought it in Edmonton from Aquarium Enthusiasts.

Reefhawk1
11-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Just bought my G3 from Aquarium Enthusiasts. I have had it running for two days and it is doing an excellent job.

Psyire
11-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I perfer beckett style skimmers, but for your tank size... you are probably just as well with a needlewheel. (like most ppl are saying: ASM /or Euroreef)