PDA

View Full Version : Tasseled Filefish Reef Safe?

Johnny Reefer
11-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Does anyone have experience with Chaetodermis penicilligerus (Tasseled Filefish aka Prickly Leatherjacket aka Leafy Filefish). I have heard they are great for Aiptasia control but I'm wondering if they'll leave other inverts alone.

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=7975&genusname=Chaetodermis&speciesname=penicilligerus

Thanx much,

dirtyreefer
11-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Most filefish aren't. Not sure about the tassled one though. Those guys are pretty funky, but I bet it isn't reef safe.

albert_dao
11-01-2006, 03:32 AM
I did it before. It's kinda hit and miss.

Johnny Reefer
11-01-2006, 04:04 AM
I did it before. It's kinda hit and miss.
So you kept one before?
Might I coax you to expand on your knowledge?
How did it go?
Did yours "behave", leaving desirable inverts alone?

Thanx much,

Moogled
11-01-2006, 04:21 AM
I've kept one.

For the most part, mine was pretty docile. It took some time before it started swimming to the front of the tank to greet you. I keep 2 cleaner shrimps and he leaves them alone; doesn't touch my corals much either. As for feeding, mine took on a diet of mysis shrimp.

Make sure you cover up powerheads though. Since they're slow swimmers, mine had an unfortunate accident with a SEIO.

Johnny Reefer
11-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Thanx for the reply.
Anyone else?

Cheers,

i have crabs
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
seio got mine also,stupid jerk thought it would be a good idea to sleep beside it, as far as behaviour i never had any trouble with tankmates or corals

cvrle1
11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
From peteducation.com

"The Tasseled Filefish, also known as the Leafy Filefish or Prickly Leatherjacket Filefish, is camouflaged by its light body with dark horizontal stripes.

It is best suited for a 70 gallon or larger aquarium with weedy areas, rocks, and at least one suitable shelter. It is a peaceful fish that does not bother fish tank mates, with the exception of members of its own family or related kinds.

The Tasseled Filefish feeds on a diet of meaty foods including chopped shrimp, squid, clams, fish, frozen algae, and vitamin-enriched foods. It should be fed no fewer than three times per day."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1865&articleid=1827

GMGQ
11-01-2006, 08:59 PM
The question doesnt seem to be if the filefish is reef-safe, it's if your tank is filefish-safe.

Skimmer Juice
11-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Mine was fine with corals, shrimp.. He just jumped out of the tank while I was at work.:cry:

Johnny Reefer
11-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Gad, is this a dumb fish or what? :wink:
Here I was expecting horror stories of corals and inverts being wiped out and it turns out to be disasters of other kinds.
Well, at least the invert compatibility aspect I'm hearing is encouraging. Enough so that I think I'll give one a try.

Thanx much for the input and cheers,

Moogled
11-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Mine was fine with corals, shrimp.. He just jumped out of the tank while I was at work.:cry:

Dude! It jumped? I had no idea a Tassled Filefish had that capability, haha. It seems like such a 'weak' animal. Kinda like a seahorse.

bulletsworld
11-02-2006, 05:01 AM
I had a tassled and a variety of filefish in the past. The only one I had that went after inverts (shrimp, snails, clams) was the scribbler filefish. Never once did I have a filefish touch corals though. I all found them to be very docile but anti social and got picked on easily by fast moving fish. Imo, very fasinating creatures though. Ate like piggies. Had to feed them more then once a day to be happy and healthy.

Good luck with your new Tassled filefish.

Skimmer Juice
11-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Yea I have the worst luck! I even have 4 inch euro brace around the whole tank

Moogled
11-03-2006, 03:33 AM
That settles it.

Next time you see a Tassled Filefish, it's going in your tank.

PS: Get 'em small. :D

Johnny Reefer
11-03-2006, 04:34 AM
That settles it.

Next time you see a Tassled Filefish, it's going in your tank.

PS: Get 'em small. :D
My LFS is getting 6 in on Monday. I've reserved 1. :smile:. Not sure what size, but should reasonable , I reckon.

Chaloupa
11-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Very cool Mark! I was interested in one also but wasn't sure...you'll have to post pics and your personal experience!

Johnny Reefer
11-03-2006, 07:54 PM
...you'll have to post pics and your personal experience!
Will do.

Cheers,

Skimmer Juice
11-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Hope you have good luck with this fish. Ihavecrabs, had one of mine and then mine jumped out the tank, so Make sure you have a lid, I had 4 inch euro brace and mine still got out:cry: and cover your power head

Johnny Reefer
01-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Well these guys finally came in about 3 weeks ago. It was good timing 'cause it coincided with the move of my Reef tank so I was able to isolate my PB Tang in the sump easily. I purchased two but these are actually Tasseled Filefish #'s 3 & 4. The first two didn't make it http://tgvas.com/Forum/images/smilies/redface.gif. One thing I didn't think about when researching these guys is flow. Turns out my water circulation was too strong for these fellows due to there small size. They got stressed out. With the second two, I shut off the two main powerheads for the first three days or so, and then began slowly cranking them back up. These guys are doing fine and are almost twice the size when I first got them. They are always front and centre looking for food when I'm nearby.
I'm not sure if they are eating Aiptasia or not. I know they are not eating the big ones but I have seen them peck at the rocks so they might be eating small ones. If they can keep my Aiptasia problem from at least getting any worse than it already is, I'll be happy. But they are a cool fish all the same and they are growing fast! They love Mysis and I've manage to get them to take Formulas One & Two pellets also.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/IMG_0467.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/IMG_0475.jpg

More pics....

Johnny Reefer
01-06-2007, 04:07 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/IMG_0485.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/IMG_0486.jpg

I'll monitor the Aipatsia situation and post an update at a later date.

Cheers,

Chaloupa
01-06-2007, 04:42 AM
VERY cool Mark! :biggrin: Glad the tank move was a success. How stressful! The tank looks very nice too!

Beverly
01-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Mark,

Cool looking fish :) Any idea how large they get? What other fish do you have in the tank?

Johnny Reefer
01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
12" in the wild, so I expect about 8" - 10" in the aquarium. Other fish are a PB Tang; Yellow Tang; 2 False Percs; 2 Green Mandarins and 4 Green Chromis.

Cheers,

albert_dao
01-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Just for the record, I've also had one of these things jump on me.

Johnny Reefer
01-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Just for the record, I've also had one of these things jump on me.
Okay, thanx for that. Good to know. 3/4 of the tank is covered. Just a 5" opening along the front. A year ago, when I converted my 135 Reef to a 180, the Powder Blue liked to splash at the surface...sending water everywhere. I was prepared this time and got some acrylic cut to size along the back and then a regular glass top along the middle. Go figure that "Splashy" is less stressed this time and isn't splashing. Maybe his time in the sump is the reason. Anyway, it can only help toward reducing the risk of any drastic Tassled jumps.

Cheers,

Beverly
01-06-2007, 03:26 PM
We've got a fairy wrasse that tries to jump every once in awhile. Makes a big mess on the top glass. Before we got our fairy wrasse, we read they were jumpers, so we cut some eggcrate to fit the open parts on the front and back of the tank. Wrasse has been safe with these precautions.... so far.