PDA

View Full Version : "Baby" Brittlestars ?

zulu_principle
10-14-2002, 03:24 AM
I have lots of these small white stars, almost look like brittlestars in one of my clownfish tanks.

Anyone know if these get any bigger ?

Zulu

Acro
10-14-2002, 04:50 AM
Zulu,

I have ones similiar to yours. They seem to stay small also. I also have others that have more color as well. The only larger stars in my tank are ones I've added. I've never witnessed my mini stars grow up to be not so mini.

Bob I
10-14-2002, 06:12 PM
I have a great many of those small Brittlestars. They are not white though. At times my rocks look like they have legs. I got them on purpose from Tony. I have no idea where he got them. :D :D

rgardiner
10-16-2002, 06:28 AM
I got a few with an order from www.saltwaterconnection.com a few months ago, and they have multiplied into hundreds. They get up to the size of a quarter.

GinKu
10-18-2002, 11:46 PM
i have tons in my tank
i bought the whole tank from AJ

Delphinus
10-18-2002, 11:57 PM
heh heh .... I know where those brittle stars came from before they were in AJ's tank! :D 8)

PS. I don't know where I got them originally. They came in on a piece of live rock I bought, and spread out from there. No idea if the rock came from Indo, or Fiji, or Tonga, or ...

AJ_77
10-19-2002, 01:25 AM
MAN, those things are hardy, but none of mine are white. They're tan with striped legs. Some are getting bigger, but yeah they're quite small still.

Good to hear they survived the trip to Edmonton, Tony! They really do multiply - wonder what their saturation point is as far as numbers? Even in the 15 nano there are Plenty!

Cheers,

Alan

GinKu
10-25-2002, 10:41 PM
Alan
well i can see 5 of them size of a tonnie and they are growing i wounder how big do they grow to?

Delphinus
10-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Is the body the size of a toonie or does that include the span of the arms as well? If it includes the span of the arms, then that's about it. They may get a little bigger, but not much. Of the ones that I have, the body can get to about just a wee bit beyond 0.25". Like about half the size of a dime maybe. Maybe if you stretched out two arms end-to-end on one of those guys you'd get something like 2", 2.5". Which seems to me, is somewhat large for those guys. I don't know if they tend to get predated upon by tankmates or what, because I don't too often see any that are that big.

OTOH, if the BODY is the size of a toonie, and the arms are beyond that measurement, then those are a different kind of brittlestar and then I have no idea how big they could get.

Tau2301
10-26-2002, 01:59 AM
I had some that I recieved from Tony, but my six line wrasse thought it fun to drag them around the tank before eating them.

Bob I
10-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Wow that scares me Kim. :o I am glad my six line is in my nano as I would kind of like to hold on to my little Brittlestars. How big is your six line? Mine is only about an inch long.