PDA

View Full Version : Would a 10 gallon be too small for a quarantine

Cam
10-31-2006, 12:09 AM
I have a 2 inch picasso that i want to quarantine. Would a 10 gallon be too small, and how long should i quarantine for should i add para gaurd or is that only if you have ich?

Chaloupa
10-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Is there anything in the tank? I just QT'd my 3+ inch Scribbled Rabbit (for 3 weeks) in a 10g but there is only a couple of rocks in there.....oh and a pair of Maroons BUT a rabbit doesn't seem to be as messy as a trigger....and the tank has a skimmer on it to....hopefully someone else will chime in for ya....

Ruth
10-31-2006, 01:08 AM
IMO you should be fine with a 10g for a fish that size however triggers tend to be messy eaters so I would be doing quite a few water changes.
I also would not treat for anything unless the fish shows signs of illness. If it looks like it has ich or any other diseases then of course follow the appropriate treatment.

Johnny Reefer
10-31-2006, 01:25 AM
..... I would be doing quite a few water changes.
I agree. Just like a show tank, the smaller the system the more you need to be on top of the water parameters.
I would do a 2 gallon (20%) water change daily for the duration of the QT. And test for ammonia at least every other day, IMHO.

Cheers,

mark
10-31-2006, 01:47 AM
Second the frequent monitoring, amazing how fast NH3 can buildup in a small tank.

EmilyB
10-31-2006, 02:54 AM
My trigger was only 1.5" when I bought him, and he lived in a 10g tank for some time. I think his growth was stunted as a result,:neutral: but he's a very fine happy guy 8 years later ! Make sure you can keep the water quality as mentioned and give him a good rock with a hole that he can hide in. No meds are probably necessary. And in a tank that size, oxygenation is always very important. If you can't skim, make sure you have that surface water agitated a lot, and add an air stone if necessary. :biggrin:

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-14-2007, 01:57 AM
You should be fine if you do daily water changes as said above. You may want to give him a small piece of PVC to hide in, which is much better than a QT with rocks. If you need to medicate, you can leave the PVC in the tank but may need to remove the rocks and that will stress the fish. But if your QT rocks are always going to be only used for the QT then no worries...I am assuming we are talking about LR.