PDA

View Full Version : Losing zoo's?

MikeP
10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I have this piece of LR that was completely covered in zoo's (not sure which type, they look like little brown flowers). Anyway they seem to be slowly dissapearing in one area. Everything else in the tank is doing fine. I have not seen any zoo eating hitchhikers so I don't think they are being eaten. Could they be to close to the lights? Or it there a zoo supplement I should be adding. I use kent marine phytomax a couple times a week.

Thanks for any info

Finaddict
10-30-2006, 05:55 PM
hi,mike I lost some zoas to a type of small snail called sundial.

they are more active at night.hth
http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/pests/pests_snails.php

OCDP
10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd take a real hard look for Nudi's .. they can camouflage extremely well.

Also, as Connie suggested.. sundial snails will consume zoanthids. Best to take a good look at night with the lights out ..

Good luck.

G1GY
10-30-2006, 06:12 PM
It's a good idea to give them a good freshwater dip to get most of the pests out also. :)

seashells
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Mike,

After owning a foxface for several months it took to eating zoos. It especially enjoyed the pink zoos but would nip at some of the others.

Doug

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Unless you spend great amounts of time looking at your tank after lights out, you probably have no real idea how many unknown hitch-hikers are in your live rock. Most of the crabs & other hh only come out at night.

For instance, even the emerald crabs & black porcelain crabs I bought & keep in my wife's reef tank are never seen except once in a blue moon. I see one occassionally but that's only usually after 2am & seen by the blue LED moonlight.

Anthony

MikeP
10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
So it sounds like I most likely have an unwanted hitchhiker, I will keep an eye on the tank when the lights are off.

Thanks