PDA

View Full Version : Deamon Spawn Starfish and other woes...

jgoldsney
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Well it seems like I have been having a spell of bad luck with my tank...

First my calcium/alkalinaty got all wonky and it looks like I lost a couple of nice corals because of it....then on Saturday I looked at the tank to see how things were going and I noticed my Galaxy coral was looking a little odd.....then I noticed these white knobs on top of some of the heads....well when I pulled the coral out to take a look I found 5 deamon spawn coral munching little starfish....they looked like the white ones I am used to seeing on the glass but I never had any problems with them before. Needless to say I flushed the little buggers.....

Now on to the current problem....I have a favia brain that was my all time toughest coral it survived anything and looked great...now there are parts of it that seem to be rotting away....almost like they are being eaten.

Thoughts or ideas on what could be causing this?

Joel

Joe Reefer
10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Do you have a picture of these demonic starfish?

WWWD
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Astriana starfish are opportunistic predator starfish. Don't trust them they can and will eat anything.

jgoldsney
10-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Well hopefully I got them all....so no pics but they are the white ones that are missing limbs that usualy are on the glass every once and a while

Any thoughts on teh receding favia brain.....

Joe Reefer
10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Is this what they looked like?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/lyohemas/hitchstar.jpg

andresont
10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Well it seems like I have been having a spell of bad luck with my tank...

First my calcium/alkalinaty got all wonky and it looks like I lost a couple of nice corals because of it....then on Saturday I looked at the tank to see how things were going and I noticed my Galaxy coral was looking a little odd.....then I noticed these white knobs on top of some of the heads....well when I pulled the coral out to take a look I found 5 deamon spawn coral munching little starfish....they looked like the white ones I am used to seeing on the glass but I never had any problems with them before. Needless to say I flushed the little buggers.....

Now on to the current problem....I have a favia brain that was my all time toughest coral it survived anything and looked great...now there are parts of it that seem to be rotting away....almost like they are being eaten.

Thoughts or ideas on what could be causing this?

JoelHarlekin shrimp eats star fish and if you have what is on the picture then try these shrimps to get rid of the stars

jgoldsney
10-31-2006, 07:14 PM
yep that is pretty much what they looked like...a little lighter but same kind of markings....

jgoldsney
11-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone have any clue what could be causing stony corals to slowly wither and receede....My alk and Calcium seem to be ok now Dkh 9 Calcium around 430 and I have been dosing with trace elements....I am planing on a large water change this weekend and I hope that helps

Quagmire
11-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Without more info its hard to say.So here's a list of maybes.
Not enough light
Too much light
not enough flow
Too much direct flow
High PO4
High NO3
Over dose of trace elements.
Aleopathy from mixed corals.(SPS loseing the chemical war)

jgoldsney
11-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Well did a 25% water change....when I did I realized that my salinity had dropped a bit in the last month so I wonder if this could be part of it...

DanG
11-18-2006, 12:54 AM
How much is a bit? How quickly did you bring it back up?