PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Water Changes

terryp01
10-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Anyone have any experience with Discus? I have read some articles regarding growth rate and the number and quantity of water changes PER DAY. Want to know if any of you have any specific experience in this area.

Thanks.

Mak
10-27-2002, 12:18 AM
Terry, I have about 3 years experience caring for and breeding Discus.

I used to do small water changes daily on my display tank but I do believe in my case it was a waste of time (I had plenty of Filtration). I think a weekly water change of 10-20% is just fine even with a moderately stocked tank with plenty of Filtration.

During the Summer I would let the water sit in the Sun for a couple of days and during the Fall I would collect rain water. Wish I had used RO/DI
water back then.

Any other questions, fire away :wink: .

Delphinus
11-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Are Discus particularly hugely sensitive to water quality? Why would they need daily water changes, is it that they cannot tolerate even a hint of nitrate?

I know (or think) that they need soft water and slightly acidic, but I don't know anything else. I heard some people filter their discus water with peat? It seems to give the water a tea colour (must be tannins).

I sure do like the look of discus ... very pretty fish. They sure do sound high-needs though!

Mak
11-02-2002, 01:46 AM
Tony,

Discus are pretty sensitive to water quality but once you get the hang of it, they are easy... but I think they eat 10 times more than Tangs :shock: . You don't really actually do daily water changes...well in my case I would syphon any left over food or any build up on the bare bottom and then just top up what I syphoned out (2 gallons max every couple of days).

Some use peat but I used lots of Mopani Root (which looks really nice), it also colours the water but you can just rinse it in a bucket for a few days or so.

Yeah I also really loved Discus. I paid $500 for a pair of Grade "A" Red Spotted Snakeskin Discus that had just only paired up and not actually spawned yet. I also had a number of other REALLY NICE Discus. Sold all my Discus right before the move last year... How do you think I got the money to start me off on this more expensive Reef'n business :roll: :lol: .