PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit users unite!!

Jim Barry
10-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I am already showing amazing results with the zeovit system after one week. My corals are responding in a way I have never seen before and my water clarity is fantastic ........I can't wait to see the results in a few more months.

Anybody else want to share their results and pictures??

Jim

BMW Rider
10-29-2006, 06:55 PM
I've been considering trying either the Zeovit system or the Polyp Labs system, but can't decide which one. Both seem to have similar claims for results but have different approaches to achieve that. The polyp Labs seems to be more labour intensive to maintain, and that is a drawback for me. What is the long term requirements with the Zeovit? Do you need to continue dosing the additives or is that just a start up thing? It is not entirely clear in the online instructions. Also, how are you running the media? Did you get their reactor or are you using smomething else? And finally, where are you getting the products from?

Jim Barry
10-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey Ed..

I picked up the reactor and everything I needed from Gold's. It is around $300.00 for everything to start up. Albert sells all the additives as well.

support@proline
10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Here is my Zeo tank it has been on it for about 2 years ,chin saw the tank when I was getting started with Zeovit .I am about to move so the tank has got to go soon.I am planning a 300 gal for my next place

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/Picture953.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/Picture965.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/Picture970.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/11111.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/Picture670.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/Picture647.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/mini-Picture137.jpg

72 bow front ,with a 30 gal frag tank plumbed to it ,the zeo reactor was homemade ,back then we did not have fancy manufactured zeoreactor s @ resonable prices ,Grotechs used to be 400$plus shipping just for the reactor.
Polyp extension was one of the things that made me reallyimpressed about this system.
There are 2x 400w mh 2x 54w t5 & 2x 96w pc on this tank ,skimmer is a small euro-reef from

This is the picture of plana table @ night after dosing coral vitalizer.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/reeftec/Picture764.jpg

Jim Barry
10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
wow... those pictures are great !! nice tank!

Although I haven't seen very much color change yet, I am finding a huge increase in polyp extension both in my sps and lps.

OCDP
10-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Those are some damn nice colours and pieces you have... the PE is insane...

support@proline
10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
The other benefit of the system was with alvepora & gonis ,they have been growing @ a great speed ,the bacterial planktoon released from media definately creates a more natural envoirnment for these corals.
The Alvepora in the middel is more than 2 years old & has grown about 35% since I got it.

FragFactory
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
The other benefit of the system was with alvepora & gonis ,they have been growing @ a great speed ,the bacterial planktoon released from media definately creates a more natural envoirnment for these corals.
The Alvepora in the middel is more than 2 years old & has grown about 35% since I got it.

I second that. My gonis are doing amazing under the system..

Mike

support@proline
10-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Mike
We need a few pictures of your amazing tank & corals:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Specially The coral in your avtar.I love that piece
Guys I have to say knowing the source of mike's corals ,he gets some amazing pieces in.

Ruth
10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=support@proline;217568]I am about to move so the tank has got to go soon.QUOTE]

I just want to know where the line up for frags and corals starts when you tear this tank down so I can get in it!:mrgreen:
Amazing pictures!

support@proline
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
There is no line up Ruth:mrgreen:
If there was you be infront of the line,I am keeping most colonies they are temporarily going to a couple of friends tankuntil my tank is set up .
However keep in mind I don't have any of those HI PROFILE corals ,most these corals were aquacultured pieces purchased from J&L ,some wild colonies from OA ,nothing fancy they did all color up after time .
the plana table is quiet a popular piece
nana you can find in any aquaculture shipment.

same with the rest I believe given the right envoirnment there is no such thing as ugly coral.

support@proline
10-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Jim
It will take some time for the system to deplete the reserve nutrient in your tank & then your corals will start to color up .
Increased PE is because of the feeding of the corals with the Mulm/bacterial planktoon.
You will get there just give it some time my friend.
Ed as Jim mentioned pay albert a visit he is running a system @ the store & he is a Zeo guru:mrgreen: :mrgreen: ,If I am not sure about something I call AL

Delphinus
10-30-2006, 03:18 AM
same with the rest I believe given the right envoirnment there is no such thing as ugly coral.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have to say that those pictures are worth about a thousand .. no forget that .. a billion words. Wow, wow, wow. I think I've just been convinced.

support@proline
10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Tony
I just noticed your fine print signature there:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Man I couldn't stop laughing .
howman times have you flooded the basement so far bud?

KrazyKuch
10-31-2006, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know werre you can get the Zeovit Additictives in the edmonton area???Or were I can order them?

support@proline
10-31-2006, 06:18 AM
Hi Kevin
In alberta Glods ,you can PM or email Albert to see if he will ship to you or you can also get it from Hidden Reef in BC.

kwirky
11-02-2006, 05:58 AM
if somone was to start an SPS tank using zeovit/reef-fresh from the get go (after the rock cycled of course), could you then theoretically add your coral much earlier than if you were to not use zeovit/reef-fresh? Like within the first month? or it just doesn't work in that way.

support@proline
11-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Sean
I can't comment on system Reefresh ,it has different components & does not use Zeolites.
However ,if you are starting a tank it make sense to start the zeovit system from day 1 ,it will lower your cycling period by a great deal ,you will see a lot less algae blooms & phases.The Zeolites used for the Zeovit system are specially selected to absorb Ammonia ,that is one of their most important roles ,it will absorb the amonia even before the breakdown process of it starts,so yes you can add your animals alot quicker than if you were not going to start the tank with Zeovit.
In germany many new tanks are set up with Zeovit & reefscaped with Reefceramics & then fully populated with SPS corals withing 6 weeks or so ,I have seen it done many times .
Keep in mind it might be a bit longer with Live rock ,but just to answer your question Yes you can introduce SPS alot quicker

Delphinus
11-02-2006, 10:31 PM
What is the daily maintenance or task list like running Zeovit? Or is it weekly stuff?

Or let me put it another way ... how much training do you have to give a person who tanksits for you when you're on, say, a two-week vacation or something? Or can the Zeovit system sorta handle the odd slack period here and there?

support@proline
11-03-2006, 02:58 AM
We are talking about 2 minutes a day .To run the system you have 1 additive you dose daily & a few other components that dosed couple of times a day,everything is dosed in drops or very small milliliter amounts.
It is very easy to show anyone how to maintain the tank on Zeovit ,also asuming your tank is fully automated & you can leave it for a week or 2 ,even if you missed the dosing ,it is no problems ,you can start when you come back ,stopping the system completely will have no illeffect in anyway ,you will eventually get back to the same conditions before you started Zeovit.

Jason McK
11-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Ok I'll let you know what my daily ZEOvit Schedule is.

keep in mind I have a net water volume of 300G

In the am I put 1ml of ZEOstart2 in the sump. aprox time to perform this 3 sec.

Evening. During fish feeding
1ml of ZEOstart2 (same as in the morning)
12ml of K-Balance (this is optional)

2 or 3 times a week
12 drops of ZEObak
12 drops of Zeo Food7

So it really takes no time as all. I find I need to clean the glass less often and I word say cleaning the glass took more time that an entire week of doesing.

Hope this helps
J

Snappy
11-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Wow those pictures are impressive. I think I am fianally sold on getting a zeovit system. I have been putting it off because my sump area is a very tight fit and I travel for work so much and have worried about the daily maintanence while I am away 4-5 days at a time. Maybe I can convince my wife her doing that for me is a trade off for the recent kitchen reno's. I assume the zeovit would solve my hair algae problem I have been battling?

support@proline
11-03-2006, 04:15 AM
I can tell you using Zeovit system , hair algae will be easily gone .
Convincing your wife to help you with your tank :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That might be harder
In my case Girlfriend will make me regret asking :biggrin: ,doesnot matter even if I reno the whole place

Snappy
11-03-2006, 05:09 AM
I can tell you using Zeovit system , hair algae will be easily gone .
Convincing your wife to help you with your tank :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That might be harder
In my case Girlfriend will make me regret asking :biggrin: ,doesnot matter even if I reno the whole place
I think I can convince her, now the question is can I fit one in my sump?

BMW Rider
11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I think I can convince her, now the question is can I fit one in my sump?

Fit a wife/girlfriend in your sump :question: :eek: :question: That wouldn't promote good water quality. :razz: Might be illegal too. :lol:

Tom R
11-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Well after seeing Jason's tank I'm convinced. I went out to Hidden Reef and Mike outfitted me with a starter kit. I will be installing it to my system starting this weekend.

Tom R

support@proline
11-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Tom please ,keep us posted with your progress,if you need any dosing help let us know

Psyire
11-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Jason,

Do you run Ozone or UV with your Zeovite system? (there seems to be a lot of controversy on this topic)

support@proline
11-04-2006, 05:10 AM
It is best not to ,some european Zeo users ,inject ozone in very small dosages in their skimmer & that is in large tanks ,in small tanks the whole volume of water will get exposed to it that way & will defeat the whole purpose of using these additives to promote extra bacterial growth.
Specialy a UV filter in line on your return pump (which is how most people use it)will not work with this system..
Frankly you will not need it ,I used to dose 200 mg/hr using a pinpoint ORP controller to keep Orp around 450 mv ,I can tell you since I started with Zeo 2 years ago my water is more clear compared to before when I used to dose Ozone.

props
11-04-2006, 05:24 AM
anyone got a clue how much it'll cost to get a starter kit? ie. 90g-120g tanks

Jason McK
11-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Jason,

Do you run Ozone or UV with your Zeovite system? (there seems to be a lot of controversy on this topic)

No there is no need for either. I would suspect both would be detrimental to the ZEOvit bacteria

J

Jason McK
11-04-2006, 05:36 AM
anyone got a clue how much it'll cost to get a starter kit? ie. 90g-120g tanks

Not sure Jesse, Give Mike a call @ Hidden Reef. I believe your looking at around $350.00
That includes the reactor and the 4 basic additives
J

support@proline
11-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Well, we don't do retail , so I can't advertise prices ,but what I have seen in the stores ,depending to the store, for that size tank :wink: ,it could be between 320$ to 380$ ,that is including the reactor as well .

support@proline
11-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Jason you beat me to it.

andresont
11-04-2006, 07:37 AM
What is the daily maintenance or task list like running Zeovit? Or is it weekly stuff?

Or let me put it another way ... how much training do you have to give a person who tanksits for you when you're on, say, a two-week vacation or something? Or can the Zeovit system sorta handle the odd slack period here and there?
Hey, here is a link to Zeovit PDF manual from their site
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdfs/Dosing_English.pdf

Delphinus
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
That link talks about needing to do water changes weekly ... I do my water changes on a monthly basis. I know weekly would be better but monthly is what I can do (I change out about 25%). That going to be a problem do you think?

Jaws
11-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Is there any reason why you couldn't use a refugium with this method?

Jason McK
11-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Is there any reason why you couldn't use a refugium with this method?

there would not be enough nutrients for the Macro Algae to survive

My Nitrates are 0.00

Jason

support@proline
11-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Tony
Many people in europe ,dose additives ,or use the balling method (for maintaining ALK & CA,...) instaed od CA reactor .that is thereason why more than anything for weekly water change to maintain right balance of elements ,not to export nutrients ,your nutrients will be very low any way ,however based on all the research that I have seen & people I talked to the more you change more frequently the better.
Anthony Calfo @ Macna was saying he does do 90% water changes ,untill the fins of the fish is out of water (those are his words),however I find that a bit too aggresive (JMHO) & maybe damaging to your biotope somehow ,because of too sudden of a change in all the parameters.

Delphinus
11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks Jason..

My new system is going to be >300g so a weekly 90% water change isn't all that very attractive to me :)

support@proline
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks Jason..

My new system is going to be >300g so a weekly 90% water change isn't all that very attractive to me :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I guess not:mrgreen:
Poor Calfo ,he is such a nice guy & soft spoken,when you talk to him you feel bad questioning things.

Jason McK
11-30-2006, 03:58 AM
Thought I'd update this tread
here are some pics of corals 'touched' by Zeovit

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/Jasonmck/resized3.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/Jasonmck/resized1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/Jasonmck/resized2.jpg

There is little doubt in my mind that the massive improvment in my Coral colouration is 100% do to Zeovit.

J