PDA

View Full Version : Octobubble Trouble with Video

Beverly
10-29-2006, 02:26 PM
We've had an octobubble for about eigth months. It's in a medium flow area of our 120g. Lighting consists of 175w MHs and PC/NO actinics. Ca is a bit high at 440 ppm, Mg is also a bit high at 1390 ppm, alk is 10 dKH. Don't test for phosphate or nitrate as we have scads of non-invasive macroalgae that are all growing well and there is no nuisance algae.

Anyway, over the past few weeks, I've noticed that a portion of the fleshy part has separated from the stony base. The octobubble looks in good health overall, though it does not open as well as it did before the separation. Also, the part that has separated is moving around in the current and is, I think, irritating the rest of the coral that is still attached. Separation seems to have occurred the last time we reaquascaped.

I took a short video of the octobubble this morning before the halides kicked in, so you can easily see the part that has detached.....

Octobubble Trouble (http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-120-octobubble-oct-29-06.wmv)

I'd like to remove the detached part, but am unsure as to the best method of doing so. I don't want to handle the coral very much, and was thinking that cutting the detached part might be simplest. However, I'm also worried that I'm going to severely stress the octobubble by cutting it.

TIA for your suggestions on how to deal with this situation

Nate
10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
If it were mine, I would elastic off the portion you want off. USe something like a dental elastic this will allow it time to heal over the open sections. This will help prevent bacterial infections etc...

You could also get the same effect with fishing line if you are handy, tightening a little every day.

Watch out for when it falls off though, as it is going to be a gelatenous stinging ball!

Had this happen to a green bubble of mine, and it just fell off on its own, so that is something to consider as well.

Nate

Tarolisol
10-29-2006, 04:14 PM
You have way to much time on your hands. :p

Beverly
10-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Nate,

I'm afraid of handling it too much to do the elastic for fear of damaging it further.

How long did it take for yours to fall off on its own? It's been about three weeks since I noticed it, and I think by leaving it on, it is only tearing away more tissue from the base.

I've fragged all kinds of soft and sps corals by either breaking them off, cutting them with scissors, by cutting them with my fingers or finger nails, or fragging by accident with no lasting ill effects. Of course, lps corals are different than sps or softies, but I wonder how much more damage they would suffer if they were cut like, say, a xenia stalk?

Beverly
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
You have way to much time on your hands. :p

Hey, I had an extra hour this morning because of the time change :wink:
Besides, videos show way more than a photo or two can :smile: