PDA

View Full Version : refractometer

Troy F
08-14-2001, 08:01 PM
I just ordered a refractometer from a fellow named Marc down in the States. I'll let you know how it goes if anyone is interested.

If all goes well I'll have it for our reef club meeting and will be charging $20 to calibrate your hydrometers images/smiles/icon_wink.gif .

SuperFudge
08-14-2001, 08:18 PM
How much is that gonna ding you Troy?

I want one too!

Marc.

terryp01
08-14-2001, 08:27 PM
I bought one from Marc on eBay. It's great, use the RO water to calibrate and then place four drops of water on the slide and PRESTO, instant reading.

Easy to adjust the viewer and easy to read.

You will be very happy.
tp

SuperFudge
08-14-2001, 08:37 PM
Dussumiere,

Could you give me an idea how much they are...ballpark?

Thanks,Marc.(the one that doesnt have a refractometer images/smiles/icon_sad.gif)

[ 14 August 2001: Message edited by: Fudge ]

Troy F
08-14-2001, 09:06 PM
Marc, $80US. Choke/Gag, plus shipping and taxes and duty. I'm scared of the final bill.

SuperFudge
08-15-2001, 08:41 AM
EEEEEWWWWWW! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Well maybe i dont need one that bad,ill just pay the $20 for you to calibrate my Aerometer. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Thanks Troy,Marc.

Troy F
08-21-2001, 11:33 PM
I just received my refractometer from Marc at North Coast Marines. Marc was very helpful throughout and the r'meter arrived very well packaged, (thankfully because 'ol Cliffy Claven kicked the hell out of the box).
I was a little disapointed when I calibrated the unit and checked my live rock tub. It turns out that my cheap swing arm hydrometer is bang on.
images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

canadawest
08-22-2001, 10:51 AM
LOL!

I tend to believe that most of the swing-arm style ones are fairly accurate, at least for the purposes of reef keeping. Your expensive purchase (and many before you) helps to confirm my assumptions.

I feel even if my Deep Six hydrometer ($15) is out a tiny bit, it's more important to the inhabitants that the salinity be consistant, rather than exacting.

PS... And for only a few $$ more, wouldn't it have been wiser to go buy a Pinpoint salinity monitor?

canadawest
08-22-2001, 10:57 AM
Troy,

Also you mentioned a "Reef Club meeting" in your post. Is there a club currently formed and active, or is this a future endeavor?

Troy F
08-22-2001, 03:02 PM
Andrew, the reef club meeting date will be set in September. Jamie has volunteered to host the first meeting.

I haven't heard good things about salinity meters. Despite the cost of the refractometer I'm happy to have it. You make excellent points about stability being more important but equally important is to keep it within range of natural strength sea water. I've heard guys that have found their hydrometers to be out as much as 4 points. I think mine is testing 1 point low which is no big deal. Truth is that I like neat stuff images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif .

canadawest
08-22-2001, 03:09 PM
I agree, I am too a sucker for neat stuff. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'd be curious to see how my Deep Six measures up too, but dont you think $20 is a little much for a calibration test?

Looking forward to attending a reef club meeting. I'd also gladly volunteer my house for a meeting too

Troy F
08-23-2001, 04:19 AM
When we do have the meeting I'll bring the refractometer and anybody who wants can calibrate. Twenty bucks does seem a little steep doesn't it images/smiles/icon_wink.gif .