PDA

View Full Version : best way to get old dead rock white again???

demon666
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
looking for help to get my old dead rock white againit was removed for my tank awhile ago after it had turned green with algee that i couldnot get rid of now i am looking to get rid of this green ting on the rock what is the best and fastest way to do this????? i have boiled it and scrubed it but i still cant seem to get rid of it any sudgestions pls

Psyire
10-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Soaking in Vinegar/Water might loosen it up. (couple days)

muck
10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Pressure Washer? :mrgreen:

demon666
10-26-2006, 10:34 PM
lol thats funny ryan

GrimReefer
10-27-2006, 05:09 AM
if it's dead, you may as well sun-bleach it. i realize it's not the best time of year for that....but it's proven very effective for me. and most importantly...it's safe.

demon666
10-27-2006, 03:33 PM
yai guess ill have to wait for the sun to return to do that would a 100% vinagar bath work?

Quagmire
10-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Vinagar disolves calcium.So if you do it becarefull,you wouldn't want to get up the next morining and find a pile of mush.But maybe it will work to disolve the outside layers with the algae on it.But I think after you would want to put it in fresh water to dilute the vinagar that seeped into the holes in the rock.Plus the vinagar will act as a carbon source for bacteria,will be a good kick start for your cycle,but make sure you do a water change after cycling.It may cause a large bloom and use up all the oxygen.

demon666
10-28-2006, 03:56 AM
ok so more or less i am at a loss for this rock till next year when it gets sunny again?????

Quagmire
10-28-2006, 05:36 AM
If it was my rock I would first put it in a bucket with water and leave it a couple days.Then test for No3.If I got a large No3 reading I would dump the rock.If a low or 0 No3 reading I would get a steel brush and scrubb untill the rock is white.

Ruth
10-28-2006, 12:31 PM
You know that if you maintain your water quality within the generally accepted levels as far as calcium/alk/mag. and have decent lighting that rock is probably going to be purple in about 6 months anyway so why bother?

vanreefer
10-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Yup

You know that if you maintain your water quality within the generally accepted levels as far as calcium/alk/mag. and have decent lighting that rock is probably going to be purple in about 6 months anyway so why bother?

benjamin
10-28-2006, 03:13 PM
how about a mixture of bleach and water, thats what i used on honeycomb rock?

demon666
10-28-2006, 05:25 PM
ok then next question will purple up damage or stain acrylic?

Ruth
10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I have used Purple up in my acrylic aquarium and no it will not stain it - purple up is basically just a calcium mixture. I'm not sure if it works or not but just remember that you have to have coralline algea in the first place in order for it to propogate and spread. If you don't have any on your rocks you may have to seed your live rock by either scraping some coralline off of someone's elses tank (razor blades take it off tank walls really well) or get a piece of rock with coralline on it to seed your tank.

demon666
10-28-2006, 06:44 PM
i do have a few big rocks with purple coraline on it already so i dont think it will be a need to find more just dont really want to look at ugly green rocks so i figured if this stuff helps speed up the process why not give it a try.......... you say you dont know if it works did you see any change at all?

Ruth
10-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I'ts hard to know if there was any difference. I have always had good coralline growth in my tanks so it is hard to tell if this stuff helped it grow faster or not. It does seem to keep your calcium up and appears to be a balanced additive so IMO it doesn't hurt. There was definately no disadvantage that I could see. Of course you should always check all of your levels to make sure they are balanced and within an acceptable range - I try to shoot for NSW levels for the chemistry I have the ability to test for.

demon666
10-29-2006, 06:09 PM
ok kool i picked some up lastnight and have to do a water change today of tommorrow so ill start adding it then i really dont want to start at green rocks in my tank pink and purple would be way nicer

clipperfish
10-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Hello . I bought some live rock from someone .awhile ago and it was covered in green alge and hair alge . what i did was cook it for three months in a tub of saltwater with no light at all .the alge disappeared altogether .And I change 50% of the water weekly .it might not take that long but i was moveing so i left it for three months .hope this helps .