PDA

View Full Version : Peppermints in Calgary?

OCDP
10-26-2006, 04:31 PM
The one I ordered doesn't seem to even look at it. Either way, I think I'd want/need more than one anyhow.. so if you've seen any around please let me know! Thanks,

Scott

SJSobczyk
10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I am in on this one as well Scott. Friggin aptasia are multiplying every day.

Steve

OCDP
10-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I am in on this one as well Scott. Friggin aptasia are multiplying every day.

Steve

I hear ya.. it seems even if I go and nuke 10 or so , I end up finding 5 new ones the next day... I can't keep up haha.

BMW Rider
10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
I was in Red Corals shop last friday and he said he had expected some with his last invert order but the box got broken and wasn't recieved. He was expecting them to come in today to be available tommorrow. I'm going to check in there again and see if he got them. If so I'll let you know.

OCDP
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I was in Red Corals shop last friday and he said he had expected some with his last invert order but the box got broken and wasn't recieved. He was expecting them to come in today to be available tommorrow. I'm going to check in there again and see if he got them. If so I'll let you know.

Sweet, thanks Ed. :wink:

Tarolisol
10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Elite aquariums is suppose to get some in tonight as well.

gbeef
10-27-2006, 09:12 PM
ocean city had some

BMW Rider
10-28-2006, 03:04 AM
I got some today at Gold's, I had to be at a meeting near there and stopped in. Red Coral did not have any.

Nyxis
10-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Ocean's has a pile of these things. I'm guessing 20+ as of Oct 30.

JOSH
10-31-2006, 04:11 PM
yeah ocean city has nice ones, good color, i think they are $13

OCDP
10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks for the heads up

Nyxis
11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Just a warning to everyone. I do not think the peppermints at Oceans are Lysmata wurdemanni. Judging from their zoo picking frogspawn eating ways and the article linked below I beleive them to be Lysmata rathbunae.

Link (http://www.reefs.org/library/article/hopkins_redfield.html)

tranvictor
11-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Really????

I hope not, I got a pair of them in with my softies now. I never looked really close, but they did clean up a lot of my aptaisia (but i starved them first). I'll check when I get home if they ate any of my zoos.

vic

albert_dao
11-04-2006, 03:53 AM
If anyone's still looking for peppermints, I have a few left. PM me for pricing.

OAcalgary
11-04-2006, 05:55 AM
i have read the articles suggested, and search related articles about the 2 species. The article that was pointed out by the fellow reefer basically suggest 2 things:

1. they both MIGHT consume corals

2. the Lysmata rathbunae.will not consume Aiptasia, but Lysmata wurdemanni will.

couple things to note:

1. As other reefer pointed out, the shrimp purchased from Ocean did consume the pest Aiptasia....

2. As other articles i have read and my personal experience suggests, they ALL are oppotunisitic coralivores, given weakness in ANY corals, shrimps might worsen or eventually destroy/consume a weak/damaged corals.

3. As far as we know, the peppermint shrimps in Ocean City are not and were not at the same tank as the corals...

At this point in time, if we all believe the author from the article that was pointed out, Since the shrimp DID consume Aiptasia, the species in our store might even be Lysmata wurdemanni.

From our wholesale sources scientific names of shrimps are rarely provided, and if scientific name is supplied, the possibility of obtaining the wrong livestocks are huge. We are still ID-ing whether or not we are supplied by Lysmata Rathbunae. we hope to bring all of you an update of our findings.

I am sure other stores in calgary are prudent and wise by carrying enough livestocks for all of the Calgary reefers. we thank you for all of your business and value all of your opinions.

Opinions and personal experience/accounts are good to listen to, but they are not ALWAYS where the truth lies.

and last, please do not use this thread as a flame war of Calgary LFS's. we value only constructive opinions to this topic only.

Ocean City.