PDA

View Full Version : Best Kelvin for reef lighting

marcingo
10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
I am setting up a 55 gallon (4ft x 1 ft wide x 21 inches tall) and I am planning on using 2 250 watt metal halide bulbs. Basically I would like to know what everyone thinks would be the best lighting for both coral growth and aesthetics. Also I would like the corals so show their colors the best in the chosen lighting.

I realize there are a few different type of metal hallide bulb kelvin and have learned that 20k is the bluest. I find I like the look of a tank with a blueish tinge to it. But I have also heard that 6500k is the best for coral growth. I dont really want to add a whole setup of actinic bulbs. I did buy a power compact 24 inch light for my 10 gal nano(that recently crashed) that I could use for the actinic on one side of the tank (is it possible to just replace the power compact daylight bulb with a actinic bulb?) But other than that I do not want to add any VHO or other flourescent lighting when I set up the MH because I plan to have them in a pendant. If I place any flourescent lighting (Actinic) on the tank it will be in the way of the MH light coming down from the pendent.

Anyway sorry for the long digression but what once again what is the best lighting for me. I would like the bluest possible that still has reasonable coral growth should I go with 14k lighting, 10k or just stay with the 20k that I have been planning.

Thanks

Quagmire
10-26-2006, 01:21 AM
14K looks good and you get better growth than 20K.10K will give you nice growth,but you may find you want actinics if you like the blue look.6500 will look like someone pee'd in your tank.They're best for grow out tanks.

Skimmerking
10-26-2006, 01:32 AM
14K looks good and you get better growth than 20K.10K will give you nice growth,but you may find you want actinics if you like the blue look.6500 will look like someone pee'd in your tank.They're best for grow out tanks.

pretty much like Quagmire said. If you like the bluer look then go with a 12-20 K then you dont have to worry about actinic's and if you are on the budget you are good to go for the lighting. Myself I'm always trying to find the cheapest way to run my tank ,but always end up running lots of lights.

Reef lighting isnt cheap. Go for the right and the best lighting in the tank that is going to make you happy. I had iwasaki 6500K 400's on my tank and my wife loved them. I didnt mind them yes if was friggin bright. But if you dont have a refugium growing algae. your going to get it growing in the main tank. At least in mine I know it would grow like weeds. But if you are planning on having a deep tank go for the 400's and blast the whole tank. Like mine again i have BB in my tank and have the 400's up
15" over the water and still have lots of light.

Last but not least what ever you can afford is the biggest thing.

HTH

honkey sauce
10-26-2006, 02:10 AM
400 s might make a 55g tank boil could try pfo 250w mini pendant, that would be more than enough.Thats what I have on my 230g and its killer bright with geisman magacrome 13k. Best color and brightest bulb ive bought so far

Skimmerking
10-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I hope I didnt make it sound like to put 400's over your tank..... if Its me go for 250's or 175's .. or you can always go VHo over a 55 gal with 4 bulbs 3 white and a actinic. its lots of light too for clams and sps.. if you got that route or even go with the T_5's

marcingo
10-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Sounds good. What I want to do is be able to grow anything I find that looks very cool. Sounds lame I know. So basically if I go with the metal hallide do you guys think 14k MH would be the way to go for my tank(if I dont want to supplement with other lighting). I will go with 2 250 watt 14k I think. Anyway thanks for all the advice everyone. If you think my choice of lighting should be different let me know.

Skimmerking
10-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Excellent choice I love the 250's and I would go with the reeflux if you can they are a nice bulb. IF I was you get the electronic ballast Ice cap.

I bought a pulse start ballast and now Im paying for it. I can only run a certain bulb. european bulbs.

marcingo
10-26-2006, 02:46 AM
so with the 250's do you see any potential problems in my tank regarding too much or too little light? Or is it perfect lighting for this tank. Like I said I want to have anything from zoos to clams. (not that I will buy clams or sps but I want to have the option should I want it) Thanks.

marie
10-26-2006, 03:24 AM
for a 21" deep tank I would go with 175w bulbs, if you have 250w bulbs it's good for clams but unless you have lots of caves it will be too bright for a lot of the lps corals.

!75w will give you enough light for clams and sps at the top of the tank
Here is a picture of my old 75g, it was 20" deep and lit with 2 175w 10k xm bulbs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2006_0103Image0006.jpg

marcingo
10-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Marie.

Were the MH 175s the only lights you were running? Because from what I have seen with 175s they are usually kinda yellow but yours are nice and blue. Did you supplement with actinic or other lighting?

marie
10-26-2006, 04:15 AM
They were supplemented with 2 40w actinics, I don't think it made a big difference whether they were on or off :biggrin: . If you wanted bluer get a 14k bulb

marcingo
10-26-2006, 04:15 AM
great thanks

mark
10-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Have 2-250W PFO mini pendents with 14K Hamitons over a 145g, 24" deep with a couple of 40W fluorescents (daylight and 50/50 I had around) for dusk/dawn.

Don't really want to give up the NO fluorencent as in the evening find I enjoy looking at the tank without the brightness off the MH but believe supplementing with actinics would be the way to go.

Seeing other peoples tanks that use actinics, (and my old 75g with a PCs) mushrooms and LPS just have that extra pop.

Have been planning for a while but after seeing another tank tonight with actinics, tomorrow plan on at least buying a couple NO actinics.

marcingo
10-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Is it possible to put no actinics in one of those flourescent bulb casings that come stock with tanks? Or do I have to get special balasts. Also could I put actinics into a power compact balast rated for 65 watts?

mark
10-26-2006, 04:58 AM
Yes, no special ballast for actinics.

Match the bulb wattage to ballast size, a 40W actinic with work in a NO (normal output, 40W) standard hood setup, same with with the power compact, just ensure pin type.

marcingo
10-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks.