PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Live Rock

hqgc
10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Just wondering what the difference is between Fiji, Tonga , and Jakarta live rock?
Fiji seems to be the cheapest ... is there any benefit of either kind for a FOWLR tank?

justinl
12-16-2006, 07:58 PM
from what Ive seen/heard it seems that the only difference is the varying density andd the amount of branching. Logically, we would want the more expensive less dense (therefore less heavy and takes up more space) and more branched (because it's pretty) if we can afford it. Fiji is low end, as for the others... well Im still trying to figure that oune out myself. any others feel like chiming in?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes, Tonga branching is really nice for doing some aquascaping. I like to have a mix of rock in my tanks. Larger pieces of "cheap" rock on the bottom for stability. Then more colourful, "live" rock on top for beauty. I use Tonga for making arches and bridges.

Some of the more expensive rock may be lighter but it may also have more biodiversity on them to begin with. It really depends on the shipment & not just location. I think Vanuuatu rock is more plating & very light as well, but very expensive compared to Fiji. A lot of Fiji rock comes in big boulders or "ball" shape, which is hard to aquascape. Always best to go in & cherry pick your LR.

Anthony

Kabong
12-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Live rock changes a lot per region its collected.
A few examples are.
Fiji Is cheap but it's also usually big old boulders. (Works great for base rocks for building if you cut it in half.)
Tonga is say medium priced nice shelves and branches but seems pretty heavy.
Jakarta is medium priced great shapes nice weight. But seems to come with lots of macro and bad crabs.
Vanuatu is high priced great shapes good weight. But apparently larger pieces are harder to get.
Marshall Island is Very high priced great shapes good weight. Seems hard to get in Canada.

The difference between cured and uncured if you don't know is.
Cured has been "cycled once" before you buy.
So It's usually more expensive takes less time to cycle, But has less life.
Uncured is "fresh" from the ocean
It's cheaper will take longer to cure (may even stink up your house) but will generally have more life on it.