PDA

View Full Version : J&L Sale

canadawest
12-26-2001, 02:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am heading to J&L now, so Patrick and Sam if you are reading this I'll meet you there with some frags.

I'll be there at around 10:30am and will stay for a little while.

See some of you there!

Samw
12-27-2001, 12:16 AM
I got to J&L a bit later (11:30) than most of you guys, I assume, and met up with Andrew. From those who got there at 8 or 9, what did I miss? I heard there was a good crowd early on.

I picked up 3 corals (Clove Polyps, Pagoda, Pink Pearl Bubble), a fish, and lots of critters (snails and blue hermits). Then, I went to King Ed's and picked up lots of dry goods as most of their livestock were gone.

I think I'll have something I can frag soon and start trading.

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

[ 02 January 2002: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Shadetree
12-27-2001, 01:23 AM
I was there at eight this morning, by 8:30 there must have been 8-10 people lined up at the till. I don't believe there was anything too unsual just good deals on their already reasonable prices. I got an awesome hammer (will post pics later, it is both pink AND green) and the expensive, boring cartridge replacements for my Kent RO/DI. I did save quite a bit of money today.

Here is the pic from J&L of the actual hammer http://www.jlaquatics.com/store/images/fish/rare/large/hammer.jpg

Scott

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: Shadetree ]

canadawest
12-27-2001, 04:40 AM
Yeah, even when I got there around 10:30am the store was pretty much picked clean. Most of the fish were gone, and there were only about 7-8 clams left in the clam tank.

I did save a big chunk of money, as I picked up a bunch of dry goods that I needed to restock on, as well as a couple more powerheads to replace the silly Powersweeps in my tank.

For livestock, well they didn't have the Christmas Wrasse I'm looking for, so I settled for some Margarita snails which were really cheap, and a couple of those cool looking new Lettuce Nudibranchs that they just got in. Hoping that they will mow down the hair algae that I hate looking at!

All in all I saved about $30, so not a bad day to shop!

Samw
12-27-2001, 05:54 AM
Andrew. I'd be interested to check back with you on your Lettuce Nudibranch in a couple of months. I'd like to hear your experience with respect to how hardy they are, how good they are at eating hair algae, and any other surprises.

Did anyone visit Big Al's? What kind of sale are they having on livestock (20%?, 30%?)? I think their sale runs until Dec 31. Do they have cleaner shrimp? I'm looking for a pair.

DJ88
12-27-2001, 11:52 AM
FYI,

The critters being sold as nudibranchs, aren't.

They are slugs. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Sea Slug forum (http://www.seaslugforum.net/elyscris.htm) Take a read here..

They are very specific in the algae they eat. Some eat hair but it seems a good part only eat bryopsis.. Once they eat that particular food they want they don't switch over to anything else. For the most part.

I have had one for a bit and it is eating bryopsis in my tank but leaving the bit of hair alone...

Just so ya know.

canadawest
12-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Slugs, Nudibranchs, whatever.... They still look cool, and are chowing down algae in my tank. Jury is still out on whether they will consume hair algae, but they've only been in the tank 24 hours, so I'll cut them a bit of slack. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And guess what I woke up to this morning? One of them laying eggs all over the front glass of my tank. Looks exactly like the photo in the link Darren provided, of the one laying.

What is it with my tank and things reproducing? images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

christyf5
12-27-2001, 08:28 PM
Must be all the mood lighting and romantic music images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

christyf5
12-28-2001, 04:00 AM
Darren, thanks for the info on the "nudibranchs". I was looking into getting a couple of those for my evil hair algae. I just don't think there is any cure. Quite frankly I think hair algae looks like crap so it can't taste any better. I know I wouldn't want to eat it if I were a sea critter. Blech!

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BCReefer
12-28-2001, 03:36 PM
Hey Andrew,

The frags are doing awesome. The toadstool has regained its look and the Colt has expanded. Thanks for the frags. My tank is really starting to come to life. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Patrick

reefburnaby
12-29-2001, 02:16 AM
Andrew,

Say...are you getting rid of your Powersweeps...are you selling them ?

- Victor.

canadawest
12-29-2001, 02:38 AM
Hey Victor,

I have two (226 model). If you are interested in them, they are yours for $10 each.

Less than a year old, and still sweep when cleaned well.

I am still using one, but if you want them both I'll take it out and soak them both in a vinegar bath to clean them and get rid of the coraline encrusted over them.

Will also trade for coral frags.

canadawest
12-29-2001, 02:41 AM
Hey Patrick, glad to hear that the frags are doing well. Nice to have more variety in the tank eh?

I'm sure that you'll be the one helping others with frags in no time, as the Colt is a pretty fast grower, and the Leather will probably spawn others in time as well.

Hey Sam, how is your piece of Colt looking?

Samw
01-02-2002, 05:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadawest:

Hey Sam, how is your piece of Colt looking?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andrew, the colt looks good. I haven't glued it onto anything yet but I swear sometimes that it looks like its wandering arond the tank. When its lying on its side, it reminds me of chicken feet that we eat at Chinese Dim Sum.
images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

My Xenia is now about 1.5" tall which is much better than a few days ago when it shrank to .5" tall. Its not quite back to its original 3-4" height yet but its alive.