PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Lighting Requirements

Jaws
10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm considering planting some mangroves in my refugium that will be lit by a 150W DE bulb. Should this be enough light to grow them effectively?

WWWD
10-23-2006, 06:53 PM
That is probably to much light. I get good results with a 5700k 23 watt screw in cf bulb. Just remember to mist the leaves daily.

Jaws
10-23-2006, 09:42 PM
How fast do yours grow under that light? I've been told by a lot of people that MH's work best if you want your mangroves to grow at a good rate.

Quinster
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
I am using 2 15W CF on my refugium, and have to prune least half of them every couple weeks. I have @ 50 in there and they are all doing fine.

Jaws
10-23-2006, 11:11 PM
How have you found them for denitrification?

Delphinus
10-23-2006, 11:52 PM
I have about 6 on my 75. They're useless for denitrification (unless you use something like 50). They're more of a novelty to me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but they are the slowest growing things ever, and it's not a lighting issue and it's not a misting issue. I bought them in 2002 as pods and now almost a full 4 years later they have maybe about 6 leaves each or so and about 12" tall.

I should mention that although I find them useless for denitrification, that's a little like saying fish are useless for denitrification. I don't mind having them but I don't have them to serve a specific purpose other than "they're coooooool."

Johnny Reefer
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Speak of the devil...(or think of it). In planning my new systems forthcoming, (can't think of much else lately:smile:), mangroves occured to me last night. Talked to J at the LFS about them today and he pretty much said the exact same thing that Tony said. Take forever to grow, and really do nothing for nutrient export. I'm with Tony, however I think it'd be waaaayyy cooooollll to have some and am keeping it in mind just for that. I also read in one of the library articles that they like indirect MH light....ie: the light off to the side rather than right overhead. Speaking of MH light and refugiums....at the risk of getting off topic and hijacking (sorry Jason)......is MH light overkill for a regular Chaeto 'fuge?

Thanx much and cheers,

WWWD
10-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Tony your mangroves probably don't grow much as you have a skimmer as your primary nutrient export. Mangroves I find for the most part are an attractive fuge type plant, they don't supply much in the way of nutrient export (try grape caulerpa if thats your goal). I love mine and plan on getting more when they come back in stock at superstore. Last year we grabbed 4 of them in a pot for 10 bucks. In a year now each one probably has 12-20 leaves depending on size, they tend to drop leaves when they touch the bulb.

Quinster
10-24-2006, 01:24 AM
I kinda agree with all the posts except for the slow growth factor...as a filter you do need alot, but as posted...I have alot. Mine have grown at a very fast rate, pruning all the time, roots bigger than my pinky. As for the filtration factor, not sure how much they are really doing, but as for the cool factor, I give them a 10 :cool: !

Delphinus
10-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Got pics Quinn? I'd love to see what you're doing differently than I am. I've come close to chucking mine (well OK selling not chucking) on account that they're so hopelessly slow to grow.

Pescador
10-24-2006, 03:42 AM
......is MH light overkill for a regular Chaeto 'fuge?

Thanx much and cheers,

My Cheato grows great under 150W DE and I'm also wondering about some mangroves, mostly just for the look of them.

Jaws
10-24-2006, 04:02 AM
I decided to go MH because I'm also planning on having a frag rack in the fuge as well.

Quinster
10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Here you go Tony,

These were put in as Pods in June ...there were no roots or leaves then, this pic is taken in August

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Misc/Mangroves.jpg

here is one of the HUGEST root formations...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Misc/Mangroves2.jpg

these are more typical....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Misc/Mangroves3.jpg

and here is the tops as of today....need another pruning...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Misc/Mangroves4.jpg

michika
10-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Very nice photos!

I also have two mangrove pods, and they are doing pretty well. I have noticed one thing that seems to make an impact on growth rate, and its natural light. I moved mine into an area were they can get some natural light, and within a few days I had new leaves on both plants.

I also keep my two mangrove plants in my sump, and they are located before my macro algae, skimmer, and reactors.