PDA

View Full Version : where to put the 'fuge.....

hqgc
10-23-2006, 03:35 AM
As in my previous post we have established that I am going to incorporate a refugium into my sump.
Because my sump isn't the best configuration for 'fuge placement I was looking for some input.I know that I will have to put it in the last chamber but the only problem is that is where my return pumps are as well. I am concerned about the sand ( or mud) getting into the pumps.
I was contemplating making the 'fuge in a rectangular plastic container and then put that in the sump to contain the sand.
Does this sound like a reality?
Here is the pic again of the sump that is "similar" to mine.
(Sorry my digi is on the fritz...)

mark
10-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Since now you're rethinking the 'fuge idea, here's the great layout I've every seen for a refugium. Show it, don't hide it.

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/dez/

Johnny Reefer
10-23-2006, 04:21 AM
I'll be doing something similar in the near future. My return pump will be in the same chamber as the 'fuge and skimmer. I plan on having the 'fuge first, then the skimmer, then the return pump. I'm going to use 3" glass verticals to separate the skimmer from the 'fuge and the pump from the skimmer. I haven't decided on a sandbed for the 'fuge or not yet, but if I do it'd be only 1". I'm going to use two 3" verticals between the 'fuge and the skimmer, spaced the width of "eggcrate" (lighting diffuser) apart. This will act as a support for the "eggcrate", the purpose of which is to screen Chaeto from reaching the skimmer and return pump.

I was contemplating making the 'fuge in a rectangular plastic container and then put that in the sump to contain the sand.
Does this sound like a reality?

I believe this is known as a "floating" 'fuge. Have it so the top edge is above your sump water level and feed it with a powerhead. The water then just overflows back into the sump and recirculates that way.

HTH and cheers,

Flusher
10-23-2006, 04:25 AM
That's an awesome set-up in the link. The only thing I would do differently is put the 'fuge in a separate tank over the display. Add a small water supply line to it, and have it drain back into the display. This would let live pods, etc, drain into the display without forcing them through a water pump impeller, then through a pressurized water supply line.

I'm not a big fan of combining sumps and refugiums. Sumps need a faster flow, unless you plan to jam a bunch of powerheads in the tank, or make a closed loop. That's just my two cents. :mrgreen:
________
ORDINARY LIFE INSURANCE ADVICE (http://www.insurance-forums.org/ordinary-life-insurance/)

Farrmanchu
10-23-2006, 04:57 AM
There's lots of opinions about Sump turnover, when I added my Frag Tank, I tee'd the return line, greatly reducing my sump turnover. My Skimmer has more time to work the water, and the Cheato and Mangroves have a longer exposure time. Originally the turnover was around 450GPH, now more like 300GPH. I don't think I would lower it any more. I use a SEIO 850 in the display, so I still have adequate Tank turnover.

I used to think that the return pump was bad for pods, but now I'm not so sure, I've had two small Rics, and a small Yuma sucked into my return and fired out into the display. All survived, unmarked.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-23-2006, 05:32 AM
I have my above tank fuge so that it gravity feeds back into the tank. Its full of pods & such which get released into the main display tank without going through a pump/impeller. Works for me:biggrin:

honkey sauce
10-23-2006, 05:42 AM
ive had small clown gobies go down and up my system over and over again i think they like it

Fish
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
I'll try to dig up the link where I read it, but someone actually did a study and caught all their return water in a micron sock and then examined all the pods. Their findings were that the pod-vs-impellor mortality rate was very very low. It was something like only 5% of pods are killed by going through the impellor.
I don't know where the idea that a refugium should be low-flow came from, but I personally don't see the benefit. My 20gal display had 40x turnover and it was crawling with pods. If you have pods that are being blown away, then you might have a velocity problem, not a turnover problem. Infact, have you ever tried to purposefully blast a pod into the water column? You have to sneak up on it with a powerhead to do it.
You may have to change the name to "sump-with-liverock-chaeto-and-pods" instead of a "refugium" to make people more comfortable, but as far as I know, it will be healthier with a higher turnover than it will with a lower one - just like your display. In fact, my 20gal display had a 40x turnover because of the sump return and a closed loop - but my sump only had the return pump driving it so it's turnover rate was half that... so what did I do? I added a small powerhead to the sump. The LR and chaeto didn't "know" it was in a refugium - so it still benefited from better water movement just like it would have in the main tank. ( :
Haha I guess an extreme example is my cannister filter mod that turned a 1.6gal eheim 2028 with an output of 250gph into a "refuguim". I added lights, LR, and cheato to the inside of the filter and it became a breeding ground for pods - despite having a volume turnover rate of approx 156x!!!
- Chad

hqgc
10-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanx for all the input!
I think I will go with the "floating fuge " idea. This will allow me to slow down the water flow in the 'fuge a bit and stop sand from going in the pumps.
Also excuse my ignorance , but please define chaeto.
Thank you

Fish
10-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Sorry, just short for chaetomorpha - a great macro algae for nutrient export.