PDA

View Full Version : Homemade reef food.

marcingo
10-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Hey everyone. So I heard a lot of people make home made concoctions to feed their fish and corals with. Does anyone here have any ideas of what to put in to make it as healthy as possible. I was thinking of turning the following into a paste. Tell me what you think and what I could add.

Raw shrimp (prawns), scallops, some sort of fish, maybe clams, some essential vitamins and minerals, some cyclopeeze. Anything else you guys would suggest or maybe should I do it differently?

Thanks for the help.

BMW Rider
10-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I use squid or octopus in mine as well as what you listed. Never used clams though, but can't see any reason not to. I also add in some Nori and some garlic extract.

kari
10-20-2006, 02:38 PM
, some sort of fish,..?

I threw in some sort of fish once with the other stuff into the blender and it produced a quality glue substance. It was more suitable for wood working.

You could try mysis and maybe silver sides for the fish part.

marcingo
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Im just wondering is octopus usually readily available? Also if I freeze this home made food will it last a while. I mean it shouldn't go bad should it?

So im guessing I should stay away from fish :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Personally, I think octopus would be a little on the tough, chewy side to add to your mix. I feed my tanks with scallops & prawns (cut up into small pieces) when I am giving my brain corals & anemones a treat.

Anthony

DanG
10-20-2006, 04:10 PM
There's a good article on Melev's reef site.

http://www.melevsreef.com/food.html

marcingo
10-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks