PDA

View Full Version : How to get Tunze impeller out?

Chin_Lee
10-20-2006, 04:10 AM
My Tunze 6080 did not start up again after I turned it off so I assumed carbonate buildup on the impeller. I took the unit apart and tried taking the impeller out and its stuck good. 3 days in vinegar and its still stuck. I put a few drops of CLR and lots of fizzing came out but after two days of this, its still stuck.
Any suggestions on how to get this thing out?
Should I consider some sort of silicone lubricant?

marie
10-20-2006, 04:49 AM
I've had my tunze seize up on me but I've never had too many problems removing the impellar. I assume you tried turning it before removing? I have to turn mine 1/4 turn (can't remember offhand which direction) before it will pull out

dirtyreefer
10-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Pull straight out, but make sure you don't bust the prop doing it.

Chin_Lee
10-20-2006, 07:03 AM
i've tried it all. it doesn't even turn right now almost like its glued in there. the plastics on the impeller are starting to bend when I try to turn or pull too hard and its still stuck.

Doug
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi Chin,

I had a similar problem with one of my 6080 streams. First, I was running higher calcium & alk. levels, which seemed to cause more calcification,{if thats a proper term}. Had to soak them every month, minimum.

I purchased them when they first came out. Tunze has long since, increased the amout of tolerance between the bushing and/or the impellar & the walls. Not exactly sure which. Anyways, I had one that would not come out, same as yours. I ended up breaking the impellar itself, trying to remove it.

I sent that pump to Rodger in Texas for removal & replacement of the impellar assembly and also ordered a new one for the other pump. These had the increased amount of space. They worked flawless since then, which is well over a year or more now.

As I dont know your pumps age, cant say if its the same or just plain calcified up. Perhaps the Tunze dealer in Montreal, {Phil}, could help or Rodger on the RC, Tunze forum. We had a thread on the problem, as well as one I had with pics of one of my impellar assemblys apart. I would need to search for them if you wanted to read them.

Chin_Lee
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks doug. I will go to the tunze forum on RC to make my inquiries.
My impeller is dead - while trying to remove, i've broken a few pieces. So i've drilled out the plastic center, I've cracked the magnet and ........ its still stuck. Now I cant even get the cracked magnet out.

Hi Chin,

I had a similar problem with one of my 6080 streams. First, I was running higher calcium & alk. levels, which seemed to cause more calcification,{if thats a proper term}. Had to soak them every month, minimum.

I purchased them when they first came out. Tunze has long since, increased the amout of tolerance between the bushing and/or the impellar & the walls. Not exactly sure which. Anyways, I had one that would not come out, same as yours. I ended up breaking the impellar itself, trying to remove it.

I sent that pump to Rodger in Texas for removal & replacement of the impellar assembly and also ordered a new one for the other pump. These had the increased amount of space. They worked flawless since then, which is well over a year or more now.

As I dont know your pumps age, cant say if its the same or just plain calcified up. Perhaps the Tunze dealer in Montreal, {Phil}, could help or Rodger on the RC, Tunze forum. We had a thread on the problem, as well as one I had with pics of one of my impellar assemblys apart. I would need to search for them if you wanted to read them.

dirtyreefer
10-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Chin, I have some muriatic acid to help get your pump out, that should work.

As for the impeller, Roger will just tell you to buy a new one since it is out of warranty. You can give it a try though, however JLs sells new impellers but I think they're a little pricey ($30-$40).

Chin_Lee
10-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Chin, I have some muriatic acid to help get your pump out, that should work.

As for the impeller, Roger will just tell you to buy a new one since it is out of warranty. You can give it a try though, however JLs sells new impellers but I think they're a little pricey ($30-$40).

thanks blaine. 30-40 is still cheaper than 200 so I guess I will have to get a new one regardless. I will wait to see what rogers suggests for getting it out. Muriatic acid sounds good but i don't want it to melt through killing my whole pump.