PDA

View Full Version : My new toy....need some help

Tarolisol
10-20-2006, 04:06 AM
I just got this and wanted to show it off :P Its a marinetech dual stage calc reactor..... But I have no idea how to use it yet... need to wait till i get some instructions.

Also if anyone knows where to get Media for it in calgary let me know please.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/seanward84/CalcReac.jpg

support@proline
10-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Very easy to hook up
The reactor gets fed ,from the bottom john guest connection on the pump.
The top JG connection on the bubble counter is where you inject the CO2,with this design the bubble counter fills up itself so you don't need to fill it like some other designs.
The JG connection on the second chamber is the effluent exit ,you use a
1/4" tubing to take it back to the tank.
the needle valve ,will regulate the flow of effluent exiting the reactor.
Keep in mind that there are 2 sponge pads in each chamber ,you need only 1 in the bottom of the chamber & you pour the media on the top of the sponge,the second sets ,are extra replacement for future.
You could use a set of plyers to tighten those screws or we can get the other type of screws from the store you bought it from & they could be tighten with a flat head screw driver.
The blue rings on JG connections are locks & if you need to take the tube out to put media in you remove the lock push the moving part of the connection in& gently remove the tube & open the chambers.
The probe holder is very easy to work with as well.
A few things I recomend
1- rinse media very well & preferly soak in RO water overnight
2- remove the tube from the needle valve to let the chamber fill & empty all air from it then push the tube back in & let the second chamber fill.
3- this design comes with a seated O-ring make sure the oring is in place ,you can use a little bit of silicone lubricant if you like & thighten the screws well.
You are set ,enjoy your rector:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

support@proline
10-20-2006, 04:54 AM
One more thing ,make sure the union connections are thightend first & the beauty of this design you can use the union connections ,to screw the pump off & clean it from time to time

support@proline
10-20-2006, 04:55 AM
I keep forgeting things:biggrin:
You can get media from golds .enjoy your new toy

Tarolisol
10-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Ok now I probly have a couple dumb questions. First, do i fill both chambers with media, and second i assume the valve is what i use to control the speed of water exits the reactor into the tank but wouldnt closing this cause to much pressure in teh reactor or on the pump? Also I do i know if im using to much CO2, does that equal to much calcium? And finaly, if turning down the Co2 causes calcium levels to drop what is the purpose of the valve.

I hope all these questions make sence.

support@proline
10-20-2006, 07:13 AM
1-yes the purpose of the valve is to regulate floew through reactor
2-CO2 drops the ph in the reactor &breaks down the aragonite media to provide you with ca+2 & carbonate for alk maintenance.
you have to have a balance between the effluent rate ,amount of co2 you inject & your consumption.
You don't want to have the valve too open ,that way you are wasting alot of CO2 & potentialy droping the tank ph .of course that all depends to what is your consumption levels.
The reactor can handle pressure ,as long as water is still exiting it .I have never seen any brand of reactor that had a problem with the extra pressure.
3- yes you fill both reactors with media ,you can also use some Magnesium media in conjuction to the arogonite to help maintaining higher levels of Mg without having to dose any liquid additives.
4-You have to test the effluent for KH & your tank water for KH & CA to fine tune the reactor to your tank needs.
I hope this answers your questions

Tarolisol
10-20-2006, 08:18 PM
What KH should i have the water coming out of the Reator at. and what PH should it be in the reactor?

And i guess i should use the least amount of C02 possible to maintain the PH and proper KH in the reactor.

RonPeter
05-18-2007, 04:03 AM
I just got this same reactor and was wondering the same thing, what the KH of the discharge water should be and what the PH should be in the reactor? Thanks alot!