PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower blenny and 'pod populations

Delphinus
10-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Can a lawnmower blenny decimate a 'pod population?

I'm looking into my tank at night last night, and, what strikes me as very odd is that there are no copepods (or decapods, or isopods, or ...) out anymore. This tank used to be white with bugs at night before. Now there are almost absolutely none (I think I counted three, no exaggeration.)

So I jammed some food into the sand (this usually brings them out like nuts). Waited 15 minutes and checked again. Found the nassarius, found the bristle worms, the brittle stars .... but no 'pods. None whatsoever!

On another observation, the lawnmower blenny is big and fat (looks JUST like StirCrazy's picture in the photo section -- an exact replica -- a very large potbelly). He was barely two inches when I bought him, two/three months later he's about 4" or more. (Hard to get a look at him to be sure, he scoots into the rock too quickly, but comparatively to before, he's huge.)

In this case, does 2 plus 2 equal 4? Or should I look for an alternative explanation?

Thanks

reefburnaby
10-10-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi

Sounds right to me :)

I have a Mandarin and she/he did the same thing to my tank. So, I keep a refugium full of bugs to keep my Mandarin happy.

- Victor.

Bob I
10-10-2002, 04:26 PM
I'm looking into my tank at night last night
Interesting sentence.

Victor, I have tons of pods on my refugium, and one would think they would get sucked into the main tank, but I never see any there. I have always wanted a Mandarin, but I am concerned he would not benefit from the pods in the refugium if they dont get into the main tank.[/code]

reefburnaby
10-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Hi,

My refugium feeds the main tank by gravity feed. The pods get sucked in to the gravity but they don't get mashed to pieces. The feed rate is a balance between how many pods are in the refugium and how many get sucked in to the main tank.

Also, I have areas that my Mandarin doesn't have access to. My rocks are levitated above my sandbed to discourage detris buildup, but the gap is too small for the mandarin to get in. So, my pods all hang out there. I also have a intank refugium built with eggcrate. Basically, its is box that is built with eggcrate.

The other thing about pods is that they like frequent water changes. I think it has to do with iodine, but I am not entirely sure. Iodine helps pods, crabs and shrimp shed their shell and rebuild a new one. By shed their shells, it encourages them to grow and propogate. Of course...if you have a mega skimmer, iodine disappears quickly.

I would only buy a Mandarin if it has enough food in a mature tank (> 1 year) and it doesn't have to compete for its food. And don't try to rescue a skinny Mandarin from a LFS.....

- Victor.

StirCrazy
10-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Delphinus, I would be suprised if it is doing it.. I have never observed mine eating anything but Algae, he is fat becuase when i put nori in there he guards the sheet untill he is done eating.. then and only then can the tang have some LOL, he even goes after me if i try to take it away..

In my tank I have a few critters that will go after the pods but I still have tones of pods running around at night.

Steve