PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Remember Me?

Nemain
10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey all those that do, and nice to meet you those that dont...

I am getting back into the hobby, all be it in London Ontario (moving out there the beggining of January oO)

Looking at building up a brand spanking new tank and would love some ideas/help.

What I am thinking so far:

Tank - 72 x 30 x 30 Starfire - front only?

Closed Loop - dont know what return pump i want yet oO

AquaController III Pro Base Unit
Standard pH Probe
Professional Temperature Probe
Direct Connect 4 (Hook up to 4 devices)

Euro-Reef RS180 In-Sump Protein Skimmer

3 x 300 visotherm heaters

Precision Marine CR422 Calcium Reactor

Thinking about a 75 gallon sump, 30 gal fuge

Wave Maker/Pumps/Power heads??

Lighting - still researching oO I like the idea behind the LED's but I am worried about the lack of conclusive evidence on the effectiveness of them. Hopefully there will be more by the time I get started!

Beverly
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi Beth!!!

Glad to see you back on the board :biggrin:

Don't know anything about closed loops or the other stuff you're talking about, but that's going to be some tank when you get it going :biggrin:

littlesilvermax
10-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Two words:

Oceans Motions! (http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/?osCsid=58dbc7f3dd6ab0e7acf48cbbbee0bb9a)

mr_alberta
10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey Beth!

I suggest a smaller return pump (to minimize spashing noise) and bigger closed loop pumps. If you want quiet closed loop pumps, look at the Sequence line of pumps. The Dart and Snapper are both quite quiet.

Also, I don't suggest 30" tall. You'll need scuba gear to get to the bottom of the tank. 24" height at most IMO. You'll love the 30" width though.

muck
10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Welcome Back Beth!!

We knew it was just a matter of time before you jumped back in. :mrgreen:
I'll echo Harveys thoughts on the Sequence pumps. Very quiet and reliable.

littlesilvermax
10-18-2006, 05:23 PM
My next tank will be a 450 with three Darts and three 4-ways.

TheReefGeek
10-18-2006, 05:55 PM
I use a sequence barracuda as a closed loop (manifold) on my tank. They are pretty quiet for the amount of water flow they give.

Check out tunze streams too though.

Nemain
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah i was thinking with making it a BB i probably wont need the 30 depth, guess I will need to make it longer!

I was also looking at the tunze for waves/motion... how would you compare the two?

Glad to be back, my addiction never went away, life has been very sad without the excitement of eletricution and flooding :P

TheReefGeek
10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I have never tried them, and they are pricey, but I have never heard of someone complaining about them.

I would go with two of them, in opposite corners, hidden in the rockwork, or buy the accessory "rock" to hide them in.

TRS
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Beth, I remember you from when a friend purchased the last of your live rock and livestock except for the Chocolate Chip Star. Glad to see you back!!!

Murminator
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Welcome back Beth sounds like a pretty cool set up......oh and BTW the closed brain I got from for you bit the big one last week he did awesome grew huge and then overnight turned to mush :sad:

Nemain
10-18-2006, 10:53 PM
awe thats a serious bummer =-( I am glad he did well with the move out of the tank though =-)

mr_alberta
10-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Beth,

Personally, I like the easiness of the Tunze products. Just drop them in and plug them in. That's about it. While Ocean Motions are great products, and the owner Paul is great to deal with, I really didn't like all the plumbing that needed to be done on the 4 ways to have the routed the way I liked. Also, if space is going to be tight, then I don't suggest an OM wavemaker. Just my 2 cents.

Beermaster
10-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Heya Beth

Long time no see, welcome back to the boards

Delphinus
10-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Hey Beth. :)

That's a nice tank size. That's the size I'm setting up. I hope it's a size I (and you) won't ever have to worry about needing to go bigger. Anyhow welcome back, sorry to hear we're losing you to the east though. :( Best of luck with the move.

michika
10-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Beth!

Welcome back! We missed you!

KrazyKuch
10-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey Beth, I new you would be back!!!

Psyire
10-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Welcome back to the hobby!

If you don't yet have a tank builder, check out Aquarium Obsessed in Barrie. They are excellent to deal with, and very good at building tanks.

bulletsworld
11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Hey Beth!

How could we forget you. I knew it was only a matter of time before you were back. Moving to Ontario though? Bummer about that.

Anyway...WELCOME BACK GIRL! Good to hear your back!

saltynuts
11-19-2006, 05:21 AM
welcome back!
let us know when your ready i,ll send some frags back to ya!

Richy44
11-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Tank - 72 x 30 x 30 Starfire - front only?

Dont get talked out of the 30" deep tank. There is no comparison in visual appeal. Yes, it is a bit difficult to reach the bottom but...what is easy in this hobby. A 24" deep tank has been the standard for a long time( Only because it is EASY to reach the bottom????)I dont get it. I guess some look at the extra cost of the tank (minor in the whole picture) Lighting has to be taken into consideration for the extra depth. My opinion is 24" tall is old school. Deeper and taller tanks are becoming more popular all the time. Give it some serious thought before looking at a 24" tall tank. My tank is 30" tall and wouldn't change back to a 24" ever. Just my $.02.

Richy............

Skimmerking
05-04-2007, 03:59 AM
Yuppers I remember your old 92 going over there to help ya aquascape it move this move that dont do this do that ...:wink:

where have ya been did ya miss your favorite Army guy ......