PDA

View Full Version : Oyster eggs ....WOW

Chaloupa
10-17-2006, 06:38 AM
Just a small fun story~

Sort of silly but....this impressed me...I have been in the salt water hobby for a couple of years now...LOVE the hobby (most of the time)...don't really understand why anyone would want "stick" corals when you can have flowy fleshy ones?

We set up our 120g FOWLR with "Ken" with the full intention to run it as a FOWLR...then we bought a Carpet Anemone...then those extra button polyps that didn't look good or fit in with the reef downstairs got moved in...well...we all know where this is going - at least Ken had the foresight to set us up with a 250w Halide as he said "it wouldn't limit us for any future plans" rather than going with our first thought of VHO only.

So those silly "stick" corals.....I GET IT! We stopped at OA last weekend and they are SO tempting that we got a couple of "easy" SPS with the help of the staff there...Green Montipora Digi and a Brown Montipora Digi PLUS a beauty Pink Cap from Hidden Reef...they look pretty cool....then I figured I'd try offering them DT's Oyster Eggs...WOW. How much fun was that! The polyps were amazing...then you try to take a picture to capture it and well I think I need Reeferaddict's camera to make it pretty.

I just thought it was pretty cool and for all the SPS tanks...I now understand how cool it is to have SPS. Can't say that I would have a whole tank full as I think I would worry too much....but now each time I see them offered...I think "a $20.00 frag isn't too much" "and it's blue" ...what would another hurt!? I think this is where my husband GROANS and realizes...now we are hunting down Zoo frags AND "easy" SPS!? :lol:

reeferaddict
10-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Haha! That's awesome Sarah! And to think you thought you were addicted BEFORE!

Unfortunately after our trip up last time, some of the pictures got uhm.. well with the confusion with my Dad's funeral and stuff... I still haven't found 'em yet... :redface: ... but we'll make another trip up to take some more pics of your new acquisitions! And I gotta get to see Ken too...:mrgreen:

Atomikk
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
There is a reason why sometimes the term SPS Freaks goes around here in the GTA. I am one of many like them. You will be one too.. trust me. Once you realize the amazing intrigue of how SPS grow, take shape, puff out their polyps, change colour.. you will become a freak :D

Johnny Reefer
10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey, thanx for sharing that Sarah. You may be starting a whole new movement here. I didn't realize SPS were "active" until reading your post.

..... Can't say that I would have a whole tank full ....
Me neither, but I'd like to have a few.:smile:

Cheers:smile:,

rickjames
10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Me neither, but I'd like to have a few.:smile:
Cheers:smile:,

That's how it starts.... then later on you're desperately trying to get rid of your remaining xenia, shrooms and zoos off the rock so you can fit a couple more acro frags in your already packed tank :lol:

Patwa
10-17-2006, 02:46 PM
i'm one of the few who has really tried hard to like SPS (ie. acropora)...the most i can say i like are the encrusting montis (supermans, sunsets, rainbows)....but everythign else....they all get a big 'meh' from me...

...god knows i've been given loads of SPS frags from buddies.....but i still come back to zoas......they have WAAAAAAAY more colour than SPS, imo and they're easier to keep.

Zach.

OCDP
10-17-2006, 02:53 PM
That's how it starts.... then later on you're desperately trying to get rid of your remaining xenia, shrooms and zoos off the rock so you can fit a couple more acro frags in your already packed tank :lol:

Hahah.. that sounds about right. I started out just like you Sarah. One green digi... thought it was too cool... I am not by any means an SPS freak.. but I do enjoy having a few good SPS frags in the tank. As attomik said, the growth, polyps, colour shifting, etc... it's all really neat.

The downside obviously.. they can be very hard to keep, and very unforgiving if anything goes wrong in the tank. SPS = stability promotes success.

Have fun... wait til you start trying Millepora's and what not.. THOSE are cool. Those are my fav. along with a tricolour acro.