PDA

View Full Version : Mag Drive pump

StirCrazy
12-31-2001, 10:15 PM
Ok I bought a pondmaster Mag-Drive utility pump model 12 (1200 gph) at J&L's today. I bought this one as it will pump 700 gph @ 7feet of head and I am estimating between 5 and 7 for my return on the 90 gal tank. has anyone used thease ones befor? if so how did you like them?

Steve

pocilipora
01-01-2002, 12:05 AM
Im running a mag 18 pump on my 90gal. Im pleased with its performance accept it affects my heat a little so a mag 12 should be no problem.

Aquattro
01-01-2002, 12:42 AM
Steve, I have a MAG 5, 7 and 12. They are all great pumps. If you're going to buy MAG pumps, check around the hydroponics shops in town. I got my MAG 12 for less than J&L sells it.

reefburnaby
01-01-2002, 03:18 AM
Steve,

Say, these are pondmaster right ? Well...these are designed for ponds...not salt water aquaria. I believe the only difference between the two is the four screws that attach the impeller housing to the motor. These screws are stainless (or steel or a silverish screws) on the pond version -- so they will corrode over time. If you have the type with black screws....ignore my comment since you have the one designed for salt water. To fix, put some silicon on the screw heads or replace them with something else.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 31 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

StirCrazy
01-01-2002, 05:22 AM
now you tell me Brad images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Thanks Victor I will be sure to do that.
oh is there a good way to mount them in the sump to minamize vibration?

Steve

canadawest
01-02-2002, 01:59 AM
Hey Victor,

I've got a Mag 9.5 and the Six (6) screws that hold the impeller housing to the pump are all steel (stainless I guess).

Have had it running for almost a year in saltwater and no corrosion.

If the housing is sealed with the O-Ring properly, water should never touch the screws anyway. Otherwise you'd have a leaking pump.

reefburnaby
01-02-2002, 03:29 AM
Hey Andrew,

True, the screws won't corrode (as much) if the screws are not touching the salt water. The o-ring between the impeller housing and motor do shrink over time and some Mags are famous for leaking around the o-ring seal.

But, it still doesn't hurt to put silicon on the heads of the screws. It is just preventative maintainance.

The problem is exagerated since the screws (at least on my mag) are philips. Once the rust starts going and corrodes the phillips head (which is quite easy), you'll need a pair of vice-grips to remove them images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Victor.

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]