PDA

View Full Version : Green Stichodactyla haddoni

Delphinus
10-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Here are some shots of my carpet in my 20g. (Thanks Canadian_Man for taking them! :) )

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/temp/DSC00266-1.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/temp/DSC00269-1.JPG

The bulb that I am using over this tank is far too old for any serious reef use. I don't believe the carpet is suffering however. Perhaps the colour would show up as somewhat more vibrant if a new bulb were used. I have the bulb barely 3" above the water surface. I've had this anemone for two years, and, it is one of the strongest anemones I've ever known. No fish would stand a chance against it if it accidentally blundered into its tentacles. For this reason I keep no fish in this tank.

It is not at complete expansion in these shots because I had my hand in the tank to clean off the glass just prior to the picture being taken. Sometimes it is right up to the front glass and up a little, as well as up to the right side glass and folded up against that side a little.

I feed it silversides and pieces of grocery store fish about 1"x1" size about once or twice per week. Sometimes I feed it mysis or other stuff, but it far prefers fish to crustaceans, so I don't feed other stuff very often. It may take 30 seconds to swallow some shrimp but never longer than 10 seconds to eat fish. It really is amazing to watch.

reefburnaby
10-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Holy Macaroni, that's is a nice carpet.

So, how many years until you'll need a new tank for it ? Or will you move it to a local aquarium or zoo ?

- Victor.

Bob I
10-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Very nice Tony. I actually never realised that was only a 20 gallon tank. And I am not being critical, but i before e etc. :D :D :D :D :D

Delphinus
10-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Actually I have on several occasions found myself wondering what next to do with her (she is definitely a "she" in my opinion ... best not to get into why I think that, though :) ). It would be far nicer to have this anemone in a RealBigTank(tm). But, every time I think "I should sell her and take this tank down once and for all" .. I get a deep panicky feeling -- bottom line I can't bear to part with her. And I can't really put her in one of the other tanks since they're all kind of chockablock full anyways. So up this 20g stays for now, until I get a flash of inspiration. Maybe upping it to a 54g or something like that would work OK.

PS. Bob, it took me two minutes of reading and rereading my post to find that typo. Anyways, I fixed it now. Um ... Thanks (I think) for the tip ...... :oops: ;)