PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fan

Jason McK
10-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Looking for an Industrial size Exhaust fan. Anyone know where I could pick one up in the Lower Mainland. I'm looking for one that will mount to the wall and blow to outside. Meaning I will cut a hole in the wall and insert the fan.

Thanks
J

fkshiu
10-14-2006, 06:11 PM
I had the contractor put in a Panasonic exhaust fan directly above where my new tank will go. It moves a lot of air. I don't have the cfm numbers on me right now, but from the outlet using the precision instrument that is the palm of my hand, it's a lot more than my bathroom fans. Plus, it's dead silent.

I'm not sure if it would move enough air for your monster tank and the evaporation it gives off, but two well placed one may be. You can always add a dehumidifier as well.

An industrial fan would really be noisy even if it's in your fishroom in the basement.

Chin_Lee
10-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Jason, i'm selling one of this units:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=214887#post214887
Its also very quiet at 636 CFM which can adjusted via a cheap light dimmer switch.
Chin

I had the contractor put in a Panasonic exhaust fan directly above where my new tank will go. It moves a lot of air. I don't have the cfm numbers on me right now, but from the outlet using the precision instrument that is the palm of my hand, it's a lot more than my bathroom fans. Plus, it's dead silent.

I'm not sure if it would move enough air for your monster tank and the evaporation it gives off, but two well placed one may be. You can always add a dehumidifier as well.

An industrial fan would really be noisy even if it's in your fishroom in the basement.

fishface
10-14-2006, 06:55 PM
how bout one of these babies!

http://www.nehydro.com/products/0185.html

Jason McK
10-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Ya I'm looking for more of a general purpose fan, I guess. That will pull air from the room not from a Duct.

J

Pansy-Paws
10-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Jason,

I'd suggest looking at a hydroponics supply store for an axial fan like that shown in the link.

http://www.bchydroponics.com/product.cfm?ProductID=497

Interesting that it's a local store that popped up in my Google search ... we obviously have a lot of demand for hydroponics equipment. Especially cash sales I understand :lol: :lol: :lol:

smellsfishy
10-15-2006, 03:35 AM
i picked up a dual 6"squrrelcage fan from the local new/used place they wanted $50 at first but i offord them $30 and he took it works really well one side is running almost max cap for a 3X10" vent. and super quite. Warning they aint preatty and you'll have to wire it but it has multi taps if you want to reduce the flow speed. Works for me<

Buccaneer
10-15-2006, 05:23 AM
Now I know you guys in BC dont get alot of cold weather but just some points to ponder :wink:

I am in the home building industry and any fan rated higher than 180cfm requires a furnace interlock ... basically if the fan is turned on the furnace kicks in and brings in fresh air from outside to compensate for the air being removed ... the reason is that in winter when all the windows are closed a high powered hoodfan if left on too long can create a vacuum in the house and the only way to get air would be to pull air down the chimney and the burnt gases in the chimney would come back into the house ... carbon monoxide poisoning is next in case you are wondering :razz: :wink:

The reason I mention this is so that no one makes a fatal mistake in an effort to reduce humidity without taking all necessary steps to protect your families

For over 300 cfm fans a complete air recovery system is required ... this system preheats the outside air so that the house temperature wont drop rapidly because of the amount of air removed/recovered ... obviously more expensive than a interlock

theoretically these systems can be attached to a humidity sensor so that it can all happen automatically :cool:

You may surmise that I have given this some thought considering my next tank project will be evaporating some stupid gallons per day :lol:

Dale
10-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Steve, you stole my thunder!

I was wondering why the need for such a large volume fan. A good quality bathroom fixture copes with the humidity from a steamy shower so it can cope with the humidity off a tank.
A low volume fan would also work better because of the nature of the humidity itself. A tank gives off a little humidity all the time (as opposed to a lot of humidity all at once) so you want to continuously vent the room (or on/off on a regular basis).
I didn't know about the CO factor but I'm also aware of the heat loss due to high air volume exchange. Unless you have a very drafty house you would need fresh air vents into the home, as steve suggested, with at least, very efficient heat exchangers. For every cubic foot of hot humid air expelled a cubic foot of cold air is drawn into the home and must be heated.
I've installed bathroom fans and connected them to humidistat's and they have worked well. Set to the desired humidity % and that's it. I've also heard of others using timers on the fans, on and off for a certain period each hour.
________
Honda NA50 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NA50)

Buccaneer
10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Steve, you stole my thunder!

:mrgreen:

Nice follow up points though :cool:

Jason McK
10-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks Guys that will also save me some $$ as bathroom fans are a lot less than Industrial exhaust fans.

Thanks
J