PDA

View Full Version : T5 vs PC

frostiex
10-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi all, I am looking for the difference between the above mentioned.
Is one better than the other? Is it worth it to get the T5? over PC?

I have PC right now, and see that the T5 use significantly less power, is it worth it for me to change my lighting?

RicePaddy
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
What about the cool new lighting at J&L Aquatics. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these babies. Low heat, tons of options, compact. The following is the description off their website.

LED lighting is fast becoming the wave of the future for aquarium lighting. The current generation of LED lighting has "close to Metal Halide" specs, a fraction of the heat, much longer bulb life, and adjustable intensities to name just a few features.

J&L Aquatics is proud to be offering the new PFO Solaris LED fixture. Although the initial cost is more than the standard metal halide fixtures out on the market today, without the need for a chiller, less bulb replacements, and huge power savings over halide lighting, we are sure that this is a technology that will become permanently established in our industry.

For more information on this innovative new product, check out the PFO Solaris website.

We expect to receive our Solaris shipment the first week of August and are now taking pre-bookings.

kwirky
10-13-2006, 06:20 PM
well, when comparing PC to T5 lighting, T5 lighting, when done properly, beats the crap out of PC. PC tubing is thick and doesn't lend well to reflectivitiy. Couple that to the fact the U shape to the bulb hinders reflectivity further.

HO (high output) driven T5's output light comparable to a 250W MH setup, considering they don't have shadow areas.

Bulbs such as white, and aquablue have high PAR values.

I have an 8 bulb, 4 foot sunlight supply teklight fixture over my 120 gallon, and it's so intense, I'm considering swapping out some of the white bulbs with the lower PAR actinic 03's. The light's quite intense for my softie/LPS corals. Overall, I'm quite pleased with my choice. I was comparing T5's to metal halide lighting, and I'm glad I chose the T5 route for it's power efficiency, and the ability to get exactly the colour I want.

Just remember, if they're not HO driven, and don't sport individual reflectors, then they're not really an upgrade over your PC lighting. ie: coralife T5 fixtures are a waste of money.

They do cost more to operate, losing their CRI at about 9 months, and a substantial ammount of their PAR. T5's have shortened lifespans, similar to HQI metal halide bulbs. Expect to change them every 9-12 months.

Oh and I'm leary of solaris lighting as of now, because I wouldn't want to spend $2000 on bulbs. That's a large part of the cost of the unit, and what happens when they improve on those LEDs in 2 years? I forsee them having the devaluation plague new cars have.

RicePaddy
10-13-2006, 08:40 PM
That is what I was worrring about. Plus being a new item on the market, I would not want to be a part of the 1st year test market. But new toys always look soooo gooood!!!