PDA

View Full Version : Gasp! Z. desjardini in a 18" tank! ;)

Delphinus
10-13-2006, 03:36 AM
Ok it could be worse since the tank is 48" deep :razz:

(Seriously this is just my 75g, and it's a side shot. And the tang will hopefully one day be moving into my 280g, if I ever get water into that thing.)

I was trying to take some pics of my gorgs, the picture didn't work out THAT well, but apparently everyone in the tank, with the exception of the sixline, decided they wanted in the picture. It's rare to catch these guys in a decent pose like this since they're so active, so I wanted to share this pic. :) We see the tang, the CBB, the potter's angel, and the flame hawk. And of course a couple gorgonians.. :biggrin:

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/misc/75gleftside.jpg

Chaloupa
10-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Love the gorgs! (and the fish are outstanding as well!) still haven't gotten a good picture of my gorgs. Was at OA on the weekend and they have a beauty red gorg with yellow polyps (or were they white?) hmmm amazing how quickly the details fade:redface: But anyway...nice pic!

AJ_77
10-13-2006, 04:49 AM
Hey, nice fishes! :biggrin:

Looking for a while at that picture though, it sure starts to make me feel claustrophobic...

Do you need some help framing in the stand for that 280? :wink:

Delphinus
10-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Looking for a while at that picture though, it sure starts to make me feel claustrophobic...

There IS more room in the other dimension, honest ... but yes it is time to get a move on with the bigger tank.

Do you need some help framing in the stand for that 280? :wink:

When can you start??? :p

AJ_77
10-13-2006, 05:16 AM
When can you start??? :p

you got tools, right?

and refreshments?

christyf5
10-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Damn! Those gorgonians are gorgeous!!! :cool:

Oh and the fish are nice too :razz:

SuperFudge
10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
HOLY PURPLE !

That gorgonian more to the right has a awesome growth pattern.
Are there halides on this tank tony ?
Are you feeding those ?
I bet you all of a sudden feel the urge to fire a couple frags in the mail dont you...dont you....weres my pocket watch on a string now....

Marc.

Delphinus
10-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys!

Hi Marc, lighting on this tank is 2x250W (10k) on for 10 hours flanked by 2x110W VHO actinics on for 12 hours.

I don't go out of my way to feed the gorgs but I do put in cyclops-eeze every day or two and the gorgs will catch some (as well as just about everyone in the tank, cyclops is like candy or something). Every now and again I might shoot a turkey baster blast of cyclops at the gorgs just for the novelty of seeing them catch a whole bunch. :)

I have, um .. I think 4 types of gorgs right now (might be 5, but 2 of them might be the same, I'm not 100% sure), and they're all photsynthetic so I think they don't really "need" to be fed, per se. The non-photosynthetic ones, although they sure look nice, are slightly beyond my means to care for at this time so I try to steer away from them (I'll just crater my tank if I try feeding filter feeders, surely I've overfeed or something). I think the photosynthetic ones are just as nice and are sure easier to please.

We'll have to one day arrange some trades or something. :) I'd be happy to send a few pieces out your way.

I'll try to get some close up shots of the gorgs posted soon, that's sort of my next photo project.

Beverly
10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I've seen those gorgs at the lfs and always wondered what they were. Great looking gorgs and fish :biggrin:

Buddyboy
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Beautiful tank Delphinus!

Does the Copperband or Angel ever nip at the gorgs??? You would think the polyps would be pretty tempting! :D

Also, can anyone suggest some gorgs that are easier to keep? That don't require ALOT of light?

Delphinus
10-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Hi,

So far the angel and the CBB have been very well behaved. Both have mostly reasonable reputations though so I haven't been too worried about it.

The two big gorgs that you can see in this picture are "corky sea finger gorgonian" (kinda in the centre) Plexaura flexuosa, and "purple plume" (to the right), Muriceopsis flavida. I'm not 100% on the species ID's, those are just my guesses.

Photosynthetic gorgonians are typically easier corals. Non-photosynthetic gorgonians are definitely more advanced. The trick to telling them apart, or so I've read, is polyp colour. If brown, it's photosynthetic. If white, yellow, or otherwise brightly coloured (even very colourful such as blue or purple), then odds are it's of the filter-feeding variety.

Some further reading can be found here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/invert.htm

Chaloupa
10-14-2006, 06:57 AM
I need to find a frag of that Muriceopsis flavida (purple plume) as that is so cool...both of mine are Corky....and wow does it start to encrust and shoot up little fingers quickly!!!