PDA

View Full Version : I hate customs....

fortheloveofcrabs
10-13-2006, 01:56 AM
I have to rant somewhere and you, must trusty salty friends, are who I am going to rant too....

I really LIKE fish keeping - after all, I've been into it for a 18 years - but I LOVE watches.

Well, there's this watch you see, and I've been yearning for it for a good five years now. Totally obsessed (you people can relate). Any-hoo, it's a pretty substantial chunk of change for this watch that I am so very fond of. Well, last time my wife and I were in Manhattan we went to the boutique and my wife too, fell in love with this watch - but we held off on buying it.

So, anyway, late last month, I broke down, called an AD (that's tick-talk speak for authorized dealer) and said 'sign me up'!

Well, it was shipped, and arrived in Canada (at customs) on 10/04... IT'S STILL THERE!

Why is it taking so long!! AHHH!!! Five years fine, but another week or two is killing me!! Why can't customs just give me my new watch.... Sigh....

So, thanks for listening....

-Pauli

Tarolisol
10-13-2006, 02:02 AM
What

Moogled
10-13-2006, 02:34 AM
O.k.

Quagmire
10-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Maybe the box is ticking :biggrin:

Kryten
10-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Hahaha, good one Quagmire! :lol:

robzilla
10-13-2006, 03:22 AM
do you collect old watches too? ive got an old watch made by rolex for eatons, that i was looking for some info.
can you help? or advise me of someone?

thanks

AndyL
10-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Poor edmontonians - so much bad luck with customs :) Should I mention I just got my mp3 player, from hongkong - bought monday night... Gotta Love HK Post!

dirtyreefer
10-13-2006, 05:13 AM
What kind of watch is it? :)

fortheloveofcrabs
10-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Argh... Still not here....

It's a Breguet 5817. Does the Rolex made for Eatons have an 'expansion braclet'? IE When the clasp is closed, can you 'strech' the bracelt? If it does, I think I may be very familiar with that time peice. What is it made of? (Steel, gold or is it two-toned)? Do you have a pic? I can probably tell you a bit aobut it, if not, goto timezone.com. They have a form for vintage Rolexes and there will be someone there who can tell you more than you would want to know about it... HTH.

Dirtyreefer, you into watches too?

dirtyreefer
10-13-2006, 05:15 PM
I love watches but can't afford to have a collection like it sounds like you have. Breguet is a pretty fancy and obscure brand, I've seen it before but I have more of "beginner's taste" with the likes of Tag, Omega, Rolex, Baume, Breitling etc. I only own an Omega Seamaster, but would love to own more.

If I were loaded, watches would definitely be on the top of my list as items to collect.

So did you have to pay crazy duty to get that watch up here? Any other charges besides shipping that you incurred?

fortheloveofcrabs
10-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I dunno what duty will be yet, as I haven't received it yet (ARGH!! again). But I bet it won't be cheap... :(

An Omega is not a 'beginner's taste' watch at all. They have one of the richest histories in the watch world. And the Seamaster is one of their most important watches. (interesting, the first Seamaster wasn't water proof - who though that one out, hunh?).

And Rolex is probably the most important watch brand out there - Wilsdorf (founder) is basically the father of mens wrist watches....

Breitling is pretty much un-paralleled when it come to function (who else makes a watch that can been read wearing night-vision goggles?!?). I don't think you have 'beginner's taste' at all.

Besides, it's all prioritizing. Your tank is probably nicer than mine. Plus, I bet you have a car. It takes a life time to create a great collection - one watch at a time so you are on the right track. :)

Quagmire
10-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Hmm thats a long time,even for customs.Have you called yet to find out what the hold up is? Your broker should have all the details for you.

RonPeter
10-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Maybe the customs guy needs a watch for HIS collection as well!!! I've shipped a few very nice items that have dissappeared once they hit customs never to be seen again!

fortheloveofcrabs
10-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I have phoned a few time yes, and it's the same thing... It could take up to thirty days. Perhaps there were missing papers, or maybe it has something to do with luxury tax. I don't really know. Eighter way, it's gonna take as long as it takes is the general attitude that I've been given...

robzilla
10-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Argh... Still not here....

It's a Breguet 5817. Does the Rolex made for Eatons have an 'expansion braclet'? IE When the clasp is closed, can you 'strech' the bracelt? If it does, I think I may be very familiar with that time peice. What is it made of? (Steel, gold or is it two-toned)? Do you have a pic? I can probably tell you a bit aobut it, if not, goto timezone.com. They have a form for vintage Rolexes and there will be someone there who can tell you more than you would want to know about it... HTH.

Dirtyreefer, you into watches too?

i did have any expansion braclet, but it didnt look like the orginal, so i pitched it. it's made from steel. it's has the solar aqua brand on it, from my research it was made by rolex for the canadian market.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/robzilla_01/IMG_0015.jpg

fortheloveofcrabs
10-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey,

Yeah, it's a Rolex Solar. Well, might be. The 'Solar' line of watches was indeed made for Eaton's in the 1950's. I'd bet your's in the later fifties guessing for the diameter of the bezel in relation to the dial. The watch has a 'faux' oyster case, or what is known as a 'Canadien Oyster Case'. It's is based on the famous Rolex Oyster case, but is slightly different. I believe this is because it was done strictly for Canada, hence it was out sourced. Rolex, at the time, did not make all their own parts and out sourcing was common.

As far the actual watch goes, I'd have to see the inside. It seems that there were two, maybe three types of movements used in this watch. Only one of the types being stamped ROLEX or TUDOR - being the most sought after kind. The other two types are not stamped and are of ETA type calibers (not terribly valuable). That said, it does not have a Rolex movement in it (out sourced again), even if it says Rolex on it. It was however, finished by Rolex.

Your watch appears to be in pretty good shape. Are all part original? Or has it been serviced by someone other than Rolex who may have used third party parts?

All in all, a pertty rare watch. There is a bit of a nich for these watches out there. Because it was only in little 'ol Canada, it is not a well-known time peice, but a very exclusive one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you can FIND a buyer, they will pay a premium.

Having said all that, you have unique, quality time peice there. Do you wear it? It's a shame to have something like that sitting in a drawer.

HTH, is there anything specific you wanted to know about it?

robzilla
10-15-2006, 04:03 PM
far as i know the watch is all orginal. i picked it up at an estate sale.
a antiques collector has it right now, when i get it back, i'll take the back off and have a better look at the workings.
i did wear it a few times, but was worried that i'd damage it.
thanks for you help

rob

fortheloveofcrabs
10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Very cool. I wouldn't be afraid of wearing it. It is a Rolex after all. If they are good at one thing, it's being durable. That watch can out live you, it's so tough! BTW, there are a *few* of these that I have found for sale and they are all in the $1800 + price area - so you've got a pretty valuable watch there!!
Enjoy!

robzilla
10-17-2006, 02:58 AM
thanks for you help. i got the watch back, and ive been trying to get the back of to help identify it.
is the back a screw on type or does it pop off? any ideas?
any suggestions where i might post a classified ad for it?
thanks
rob

robzilla
10-29-2006, 02:49 PM
have you gotten your watch from customs yet? would be nice to see a picture

G1GY
10-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I bought some old watches in a box of stuff at an estate sale a few years back. I'm not sure if any of them even work. I'm planning on maybe gluing them inside a picture frame or something and hanging them on the wall.

Here's the front of them.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/143/dsc00611ax5.jpg

The backs of them.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6752/dsc00612uw2.jpg

And if I could ever track down "Doug" or his family, I'd give them this one that Maybelle gave him in 1939.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1503/dsc00614xo2.jpg
Imagine the stories these old watches could tell you if they could talk.

fortheloveofcrabs
12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi all,

I was just looking through some of my old posts, and I totally forgot about this thread!

Gary, that's a fantastic watch (with the engraving on the back). There's something so romantic about things like that. I think that Timex in the top left its really, really neat. Do you wear any these watches? Or have you hung them yet?

Rob, have you sold the watch, or are you wearing it now?

I finally got my watch (on 10/30) and never got around to taking picture until now. As far as customs... It was $1040.00 down the drain... Sigh.

http://www.geocities.com/spaghettisoft/img_0774.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/spaghettisoft/img_0779.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/spaghettisoft/img_0795.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/spaghettisoft/img_0800.jpg

robzilla
12-18-2006, 02:33 PM
nice looking watch :)

IluvHockey
12-19-2006, 07:42 PM
What do you think about the Breitling Bentley models. I like the one witht he dark red dial. Kinda different from the ones iwth the white, blue or black dials.

fortheloveofcrabs
12-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Hey,

You're talking about the 6.75, right? It's a statement watch - esspecially at 47.5 mm. Have you seen it in person? It's HUGE. Really, really huge. I've been a big fan of the entire Bently line of breitling's for a long time now and they add a touch of class to the whole familiy of watches. The copper face is definatly unique. It's probably my favorite dial in the whole line. I feel it takes a unique personality to pull off a dial like the copper. Most won't see the beauty of it, and just see it as strange - but some will just get it. It kinda remindes me of the 'Delphis' (it's a Chronoswiss) as the watch (in extremely limited numbers) came with a red guilloche dial. It had that same "black sheep" air to it. I couldn't agree more with you as far as the line of Breitling dials in concerned - blue, black, white. Copper is breath of fresh air.

Are you a collector?

IluvHockey
12-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Yes, I am a bit if a collector. But more mainstrem stuff than anything else. Don't you mean the Chronoswiss Klassix Chronograph Turtle? The Delphis is more like a simplified Glasshutte Panomatic Chrono. I like either one. They are classics.

Here is the GT. Must be seen in person to be appreciated.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/Bentley.jpg

fortheloveofcrabs
12-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey,

Nope, not the CS Klassik - that's more pink and not produced in a finite ammount. The Delphis came with a red dial (couldn't find a picture) in extremely limited numbers. I've only seen/heard about it once. It was after the NYC Chronoswiss GTG in Oct 2006. I saw it at an AD afterwards (I didn't get to go to the GTG :(

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is the Delphis at all like the Glashutte PanoChrono? The Delphis has sub-seconds, a retrograde minute hand and a digital hour display. Aside the subseconds, the GPC has none of that - and is a chronograph.

I would agree, though, all very nice items.

What kind of watches do you 'most fancy'? Sport? Have you seen the new JLC Squadra Reverso? What do you think? Sounds like it's going to be quite something, eh?

Is that your Breitling? Nice watch - very nice. And any readers who haven't seen it in person, that picture, in no way, does that watch justice. It's really quite something face to face.

-Pauli

IluvHockey
12-22-2006, 08:46 PM
No the Red GT is not mine yet. But soon, maybe Christmas????.

Anyways I am more of a Chrono guy, then dress watches. I am not particular fond of the square chronos anf the JLC is one of those. The Tag Monaco (steve Mcqueen blue dial) would be the only exception.

As of my comaprision to the glasshutte, I think I was thinking the colour scheme for teh plantium version as the regualt chronoswiss use the blue hands on white dial. I forgot that it also comes in that blazing red. I have only read about those. Nice to see that there are some watch collectors out there.