PDA

View Full Version : what to clean acrylic with??

christyf5
10-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm having troubles keeping up with some sort of heinous green crusty algae in my acrylic nano tank. I guess its sort of like green coralline, little tiny dots. Currently I have one of the smaller mag floats (the smallest I think) but its not getting the job done. Is there anything I can use for the problem areas without scracthing the tank??

Delphinus
10-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Credit card or credit-card-sized piece of plastic? What about a plastic scraper?

What about something like this? http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/cleaning.php?product_ID=mc-prosc02

midgetwaiter
10-12-2006, 10:04 PM
The kent scraper is as good as anything else, there isn't a great way to handle things like coraline on acrylic. I've found that if you get determined enough you can get almost anything off with the Pentair scrubby pads but it sure takes a while.

Old Guy
10-12-2006, 10:45 PM
They sell plastic putty knives at Rona and Home depot. Should be perfect for the job.

christyf5
10-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

Ruth
10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I have 3 acrylic tanks and cleaning them is a PITA.
IMO lose the mag float - it is sure to get a little tiny invisible piece of sand or rock slough underneath it and viola - scratched tank.
I have used old credit cards and a couple of versions of the plastic scrapers.
The #1 thing you have to use is great care - these things scratch easily and while you can buff the scratches out (apparently) I find it easier to just use caution.
The other option that I seem to going for now is just admiring the coraline growing on the acrylic - you can always have a top down view.:mrgreen: