PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Hitchiker

marcingo
10-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Hey. I cant get a pic of the hitchiker in question but im just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be. It just appeared today in some live rock i bought from someone. Basically it's body is shaped sort of like a star fish. It has 5 fairly long legs and almost no body. 4 legs are at one end of the body 2 of which are longer than the other two and then 2 more legs at the other end of its body. It is appears to be striped black and white. Anyone have any ideas and if you do know what it could be is it reef safe in a 10 gallon nano?

Snappy
10-12-2006, 02:35 AM
Sounds to me like a brittle sea star. If that is what it is it's ok. How big is it?

marcingo
10-12-2006, 03:00 AM
It's hard to tell but I would say if its legs were stretched maybe an inch and a quarter.

Also I noticed another critter I havent gotten a really good look at it because it hides in my rocks in the dark but what it looks like is sort of like a hermit crab at least the arms and legs but it seems to live in the rock and its always kind of hanging from inside of the rock with its feet in the air. Crappy description I know.

Also the brittle sea star will it grow too big for my tank and is it a predator?

Snappy
10-12-2006, 04:21 AM
It's hard to tell but I would say if its legs were stretched maybe an inch and a quarter.

Also I noticed another critter I havent gotten a really good look at it because it hides in my rocks in the dark but what it looks like is sort of like a hermit crab at least the arms and legs but it seems to live in the rock and its always kind of hanging from inside of the rock with its feet in the air. Crappy description I know.

Also the brittle sea star will it grow too big for my tank and is it a predator?
Those little brittle stars don't grow big and are safe.
As far as the crab goes, if it's not a hermit I would put it in the sump or elsewhere.