PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake Eel

Renegade
10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey i recently bought a snow flake eel, and i've been doing alot of reading in regards to care. I just wanted to seek some first hand expierience and was wondering diets of your eels out there >? and how often they are fed.

Kyle

Midknight
10-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi Kyle,

I feed mine a mix of frozen foods every other day.
I used a feeding tube so that it would get to him before everybody else pigged out on it.
And since he has gone for a walk (hid behind the dresser and couldn't find him) I have an extra feeding tube if your interested. :wink:

tranvictor
10-11-2006, 11:27 PM
I used to feed mine silversides, about once a week. Every other month or so, I would feed Booger a damsel. He too went for a walk on the dry side.

Snappy
10-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Mine ate everything from chunks of frozen brine shrimp & mysis (holy brainfreeze) to silversides, ect. I usually fed mine with long tongs every few days or a few times a week. I unfortunately had to shut down my pred tank so he is now in a friends pred tank but still very wet. The tank needs to be quite well sealed to keep eels on the right side of the glass.

Sushiman
10-12-2006, 05:05 AM
I think habitat is the most important aspect of eel care. I've kept them in a standard set-up & in my current display that has a buried PVC tunnel for my two eels. What a difference. No escape attempts (unlike when I didn't give them a dedicated habitat), no destroyed aquascaping. I don't even bother with a cover on the tank anymore! These eels are very easy to feed; my snowflake & zebra like crab, shrimp, krill, clam, squid, silversides....MEAT.
I've heard of eels going on prolonged hunger strikes but have not experienced this first-hand. My boys are fed until satisfied 1-2X per week.