PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Set-up

Slick Fork
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi there,

Just moved into a new place and will finally be setting up my 100 gallon tank. I was planning on an in-wall set-up and have been trying to figure out what I should use to frame it in. Will 2x4's be sufficient support for that much water? I plan on having the top pieces lying on their "side" so that they will be 1.5" wide and 3.5" tall. This worked pretty well for the 55 gallon cabinet I framed so I figure why mess with a good thing!

I don't have either the 55 or the 100 up and running with anything yet, we had been waiting to be done the move before we filled them up. The original plan was that the 55 would be the SW tank and the 100 would go FW. Now my wife has decided to "allow" the 100 gallon to go Salty (probably due to the discovery that the fish she really likes won't fit in our 55, but whatever the motive I'm not complaining!!!). Anyways... We went out and bought a 36" HO T5 light before we decided to consider putting the 100 into salt, thinking it would work perfectly for the 55 (44" long). I want a softy/lps tank (SPS are a little intimidating right now) and was thinking I could put the T5 over the 100 and keep softies and mushrooms on the sides where it's darker and have the more light hungry stuff in the 3 feet directly under the light. I know I'll have to do a test run to really know but does it sound remotely reasonable or am I way out to lunch with this fixture (If I have to upgrade the lights I'll probably just keep the 100 as a FW Tank)

Wow... didn't mean to get so side-tracked with the light thoughts but there you go!! Anyways, all input is welcome but building the stand is my priority right now!

Cheers

Slick Fork
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Anybody? (and bump!!)

Pescador
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey
Are you building the stand out of 2 by's as part of the wall itself?
Or a stand next to the wall and tied in with plywood?
I'm not sure what your planning but 2x4's and maybe 4x4 legs topped with plywood and foam can hold a lot of weight.
Do you need access for a sump under the tank? or beside it?
Maybe a sketch or pic of where it's going to go.

As for the lights how many bulbs are in the T-5?

Check out Melev's build thread on Reef Central it's huge but it's got a ton of info.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=406083

Slick Fork
10-12-2006, 10:37 PM
The stand will be built into the wall and I was hoping to have room for a sump/storage underneath. I was hoping to go with 2x4 construction with 1/2" plywood on top, and then a 1/2" of foam on top of that. This would give me the most available space underneath, 4x4's just seem to take up so much room.

As far as the light goes, it's a 4x39w 36" HO T5 fixture.

Pescador
10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi
I think 2x4's should be fine, on mine I used a metal stand but I added extra studs in the wall where the tank will go and put the plywood over the stand and the top of the wall in the opening so the tank could sit flush with the front of the wall.

You can make the middle legs of the stand removable with "L" brackets
so you can remove the sump if you have to.

Your still on the low end of amount of lighting so I don't think you'll have to worry about putting softies under too much light. Depends on the depth of your tank though. Assuming it's 21"-24" deep.

If your building the wall from scratch it's great to be able to plan power outlets, blocking for mounting equipment, even running water and R/O lines. If you haven't already think about using cement board or bath board instead of drywall.

Quagmire
10-12-2006, 11:35 PM
2x4's will be fine for the frame,just add a couple extra pieces in the middle of the front and back,if you dont need a sump in the stand.Or if you do need a sump under it,add 2 pieces 6"or 8" in on each side of the front and back.If the 100g is a 48" tank,the T5's will be no problem for what you want.

Slick Fork
10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Cool,

The tank is 60" long x 18" Deep (front to back) and 24" tall, so I guess the ultimate test will be how goofy it looks with a 36" fixture above it and if the sides get enough/any light at all without me having to raise the thing to the moon! As for the front... I'm actually thinking of going with tile as opposed to a dry-wall, but that all depends on what the boss/smarter half is thinking!

If I can set it up with LPS in the centre under the direct light and then softies/riccordia off to the side, that could be really cool! Once I get the internet at the new house set-up I'll start some pictures going!!